North Carolina Tar Heels: 1993 vs 2009, Bracket Final

Mar 4, 2017; Chapel Hill, NC, USA; North Carolina Tar Heels players huddle before the game at Dean E. Smith Center. Mandatory Credit: Bob Donnan-USA TODAY Sports
Mar 4, 2017; Chapel Hill, NC, USA; North Carolina Tar Heels players huddle before the game at Dean E. Smith Center. Mandatory Credit: Bob Donnan-USA TODAY Sports /
facebooktwitterreddit
Prev
2 of 4
Next
north carolina tar heels
Apr 3, 2017; Phoenix, AZ, USA; North Carolina Tar Heels head coach Roy Williams speaks at a press conference after defeating the Gonzaga Bulldogs in the championship game of the 2017 NCAA Men’s Final Four at University of Phoenix Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Bob Donnan-USA TODAY Sports /

More from North Carolina Tar Heels

2009 Rotation

Starters

C Tyler Hansbrough

F Deon Thompson

F Danny Green

G Wayne Ellington

G Ty Lawson

Key Reserves

G Bobby Frasor

F Ed Davis

C Tyler Zeller

G Marcus Ginyard*

F Will Graves

G Larry Drew

G Justin Watts

North Carolina Tar Heels Basketball
North Carolina Tar Heels Basketball /

North Carolina Tar Heels Basketball

1993 Rotation

Starters

C Eric Montross

F George Lynch

F Brian Reese

G Donald Williams

G Derrick Phelps

Key Reserves

F Kevin Salvadori

F Pat Sullivan

G Henrik Rodl

G Scott Cherry

C Matt Wenstrom

G Dante Calabria

Comments

I will keep this brief. The 1993 team has a lot of size to contend with, that could be interesting for a 2009 team that is not as tall outside of Zeller. Both teams brought defensive reputations into their title wins, and it would important especially for Phelps to bother Lawson, if that is possible. Reese would also need to suppress Green’s offense, though Green might find some foul trouble covering Reese in return. The 2009 bench is more talented, but that size factor is still there.

Results

I am as surprised as you are. One of the nice things about NCAAGameSim.com is they keep track how often a particular game is played. This game had been simulated five times on their site with 2009 actually winning more times. However we are following the one game series rules of the NCAA Tournament and 1993 was the convincing winner in this one. So they are the winners of the first North Carolina Tar Heels Bracket Challenge.