North Carolina Tar Heels: 1993 vs 2016, Bracket Challenge

Apr 4, 2016; Houston, TX, USA; North Carolina Tar Heels guard Marcus Paige (5) reacts in the locker room after the game against the Villanova Wildcats in the championship game of the 2016 NCAA Men's Final Four at NRG Stadium. Villanova won 77-74. Mandatory Credit: Kevin Jairaj-USA TODAY Sports
Apr 4, 2016; Houston, TX, USA; North Carolina Tar Heels guard Marcus Paige (5) reacts in the locker room after the game against the Villanova Wildcats in the championship game of the 2016 NCAA Men's Final Four at NRG Stadium. Villanova won 77-74. Mandatory Credit: Kevin Jairaj-USA TODAY Sports /
facebooktwitterreddit
Prev
1 of 4
Next
north carolina tar heels
Apr 4, 2016; Houston, TX, USA; North Carolina Tar Heels guard Marcus Paige (5) reacts in the locker room after the game against the Villanova Wildcats in the championship game of the 2016 NCAA Men’s Final Four at NRG Stadium. Villanova won 77-74. Mandatory Credit: Kevin Jairaj-USA TODAY Sports /

The North Carolina Tar Heels Bracket Challenge can see the end of the tunnel. Semifinal Round is here and it is 1993 vs 2016.

The North Carolina Tar Heels Bracket Challenge has entered its Semi-Final phase. There are only four teams left. They are 1968, 2016, 2009, and 1993. It has been a rough and interesting ride of using a one game simulator result, but also trying to see what would happen between these wide ranging teams and their wide ranging eras.

Is it the Final Four that I wanted? Not at all. But that is one of the nice things about it. Subjectivity has been kept to a minimum. If it hadn’t, clearly I would have had the 2005 team play the 1982 team in the final game and thumped my chest about how right I was to favor my favorite teams.

My guess is that those of you who have just now started following this string are probably looking at 1968 and 2016 and scratching your heads. Perhaps even the 1993 team seems a bit off to you. Hey, I am in the same boat, but I do know how we got here.

More from Old North Banter

So it’s time to pull out the simulator and pit 2016 vs 1993. Both teams have a more workman-like reputation about them. It is also a chance to put Eric Montross up against the very players he analyzes every time he calls a game.

The 2016 team brought a lot of size against Villanova, but the 1993 team will bring more than that with their three seven footers. Each team has a featured shooter, Marcus Paige versus Donald Williams, but a mixed bag of three point shooting outside of that. Emotion will be present with Brice Johnson and George Lynch. It should be a good hard game. Now watch it be a blowout.