North Carolina Tar Heels: 1982 v 1969, Bracket Challenge

Mar 4, 2017; Chapel Hill, NC, USA; Former North Carolina Tar Heels great Michael Jordan during a half time announcement that Jordan's Jumpman Brand is teaming up with Carolina Football. The Tar Heels defeated the Blue Devils 90-83 at Dean E. Smith Center. Mandatory Credit: Bob Donnan-USA TODAY Sports
Mar 4, 2017; Chapel Hill, NC, USA; Former North Carolina Tar Heels great Michael Jordan during a half time announcement that Jordan's Jumpman Brand is teaming up with Carolina Football. The Tar Heels defeated the Blue Devils 90-83 at Dean E. Smith Center. Mandatory Credit: Bob Donnan-USA TODAY Sports /
facebooktwitterreddit
Prev
2 of 2
Next
September 28, 2015; El Segundo, CA, USA; Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant with broadcaster James Worthy during media day at Toyota Sports Center. Mandatory Credit: Gary A. Vasquez-USA TODAY Sports
September 28, 2015; El Segundo, CA, USA; Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant with broadcaster James Worthy during media day at Toyota Sports Center. Mandatory Credit: Gary A. Vasquez-USA TODAY Sports /

1982 Rotation

More from North Carolina Tar Heels

Starters

C Sam Perkins

F James Worthy

F Matt Doherty

G Michael Jordan

G Jimmy Black

Key Reserves

G Jim Braddock

F Chris Brust

G Buzz Peterson

F Jeb Barlow

North Carolina Tar Heels Basketball
North Carolina Tar Heels Basketball /

North Carolina Tar Heels Basketball

1969 Rotation

Starters

C Rusty Clark

F Bill Bunting

F Charlie Scott

G Dick Grubar

G Eddie Fogler

Key Reserves

C Lee Dedmon

G Gerald Tuttle

G Jim Delany

F Joe Brown

Comments:

It is kind of neat to look at these two Dean Smith teams and see some common elements. Both had good frontcourts but a trusted post on the bench. Both would start a future college basketball coach. Both had a wing player who has become iconic at North Carolina. Both had about a nine man rotation.

This is not about similarities. This is about who would win. The 1982 team relied heavily on the production from its post players. Patrick Ewing might have given them trouble, but their 1969 counterparts are more similar in size. Scott vs Jordan would have been a must see matchup, and we can only hope Smith would have defended one with the other.

The only clear advantage seems to be the point guard battle where Jimmy Black would been more than a match for Fogler. Bench support would have been about the same. The combined scoring averages would have favored 1969 as well.

In their most important game Worthy-Jordan-Perkins scored 54 of 63 points to win. In their most important game Scott-Bunting-Clark went 55 of 65 to lose, and they didn’t have Grubar. It is a close run thing. My gut says go with 1982, but my head says that it might not be right. I would kill for a simulation tool right now.

With it this close, I have to bow to the myth. The 1982 team marches on, but not by much.

Results

Next: 1993 vs 1995 Bracket Challenge

The 1982 team will await the winner of the game between 1968 and 1981. Really? I have to go through the same calculus again with teams of the previous year? That’s what happens. Stay tuned