North Carolina Tar Heels: Final Four Bracket Game 2

Apr 13, 2016; Charlotte, NC, USA; Orlando Magic guard forward Devyn Marble (11) fouls Charlotte Hornets forward Tyler Hansbrough (50) during the second half of the game at Time Warner Cable Arena. Hornets win 117-103. Mandatory Credit: Sam Sharpe-USA TODAY Sports
Apr 13, 2016; Charlotte, NC, USA; Orlando Magic guard forward Devyn Marble (11) fouls Charlotte Hornets forward Tyler Hansbrough (50) during the second half of the game at Time Warner Cable Arena. Hornets win 117-103. Mandatory Credit: Sam Sharpe-USA TODAY Sports /
facebooktwitterreddit
Prev
2 of 4
Next
north carolina tar heels
Oct 18, 2013; Los Angeles, CA, USA; Los Angeles Clippers power forward Antawn Jamison (33) and Portland Trail Blazers center Meyers Leonard (11) go for a rebound in the second half of the game at the Staples Center. Mandatory Credit: Jayne Kamin-Oncea-USA TODAY Sports /

The 1997 Rotation

Starters

C Serge Zwikker

F Antawn Jamison

F Vince Carter

G Shammond Williams

G Ed Cota

Key Reserves

F Ademola Okulaja

C Makhtar Ndiaye

F Vasco Evtimov

The 2008 Rotation

Starters

C Tyler Hansbrough

F Deon Thompson

F Marcus Ginyard

G Wayne Ellington

G Ty Lawson

Key Reserves

F Danny Green

G Quentin Thomas

F Alex Stepheson

F Will Graves

G Bobby Frasor (inj)

Matchup Notes Before Simulation-

Rebounding would be a premium in this matchup with Jamison and Hansbrough both very active on the boards. I don’t know if Hansbrough could climb Zwikker the whole game, but I am willing to bet he would have induced foul trouble on him and certainly Ndiaye (assuming Ndiaye did not flagrant him). On the other end, Jamison would have been impossible to defend with his variety of athletic shots.

Distance shooting would also be close since Green, Ellington, and Shammond Williams are some of the best the school has ever seen at it. The Carter versus Ginyard matchup would be crucial to the outcome as would Okulaja’s ability to come in and deal with Green. Size would actually favor the 1997 team in many spots.

Finally there would be the point guard battle. Here the edge would seem to be with Lawson, who could generate offense of his own when necessary. He would also have more helpers off the bench with Thomas or Frasor (assuming healthy here) and therefore the opportunity to rest.

It will be a good one, featuring two of the handful of players to get their jerseys retired rather than just honored.

Result – NCAAGameSim.com

Note – One simulation (this not a best of seven) and I will use the same engine each time for consistency unless it involves a team prior to 1975 where I will improvise.

Summary – Absolutely monster game from Hansbrough (35 points 15 rebounds) supplemented by a big scoring night from Ellington (19 points). Shammond Williams put in a big game of his own (16 points 4 steals), but the 1997 Heels could not mount enough offense in the end.