Carolina Panthers: List of Potential Free Agent Targets

facebooktwitterreddit
Prev
7 of 7
Next
Aug 1, 2016; Mankato, MN, USA; Minnesota Vikings tackle Matt Kalil (75) walks of the afternoon session for a break due to a storm at training camp at Minnesota State University. Mandatory Credit: Bruce Kluckhohn-USA TODAY Sports
Aug 1, 2016; Mankato, MN, USA; Minnesota Vikings tackle Matt Kalil (75) walks of the afternoon session for a break due to a storm at training camp at Minnesota State University. Mandatory Credit: Bruce Kluckhohn-USA TODAY Sports /

Chris Johnson

How do you supplement a power guy like Jonathan Stewart? How about with a speed guy that can still hit the home run from time to time? Obviously the concern with Johnson is the injuries, the Cardinals really only got their first look at David Johnson because Chris got hurt while playing well in a backup role two years ago. Johnson also offers a reasonable receiving threat out of the backfield.

More from Old North Banter

Chris Long

After winning the Super Bowl, Long said he would not be back in a Patriots uniform. That was weird but suggests that the Patriots were not going to make a big effort to bring him back (as they are known to do). Long is 32, but he is also that combination of run stuffing with a bit of pass rush that the Panthers really don’t have at the moment. He might not be that expensive either.

Matt Kalil

This is something I think will happen. Kalil plays left tackle. He could play with his brother Ryan. It would solve the issue and there would already chemistry on the offensive line. I think everyone needs this to happen.

I did not include Charles Johnson, Ted Ginn, or other Panthers free agents since those guys have some familiarity. It does not mean that I think the team will ignore them or simply let them walk away. I also am not advocating signing every player in this list since it would be impractical and probably break the salary cap.