NC State Wolfpack: Samuels, Wolfpack Take Independence Bowl

Dec 26, 2016; Shreveport, LA, USA; North Carolina State Wolfpack tight end Jaylen Samuels (1) and North Carolina State Wolfpack guard Bryce Kennedy (56) celebrate after the game against the Vanderbilt Commodores at Independence Stadium. North Carolina State Wolfpack defeated the Vanderbilt Commodores 41-17. Mandatory Credit: Justin Ford-USA TODAY Sports
Dec 26, 2016; Shreveport, LA, USA; North Carolina State Wolfpack tight end Jaylen Samuels (1) and North Carolina State Wolfpack guard Bryce Kennedy (56) celebrate after the game against the Vanderbilt Commodores at Independence Stadium. North Carolina State Wolfpack defeated the Vanderbilt Commodores 41-17. Mandatory Credit: Justin Ford-USA TODAY Sports /
facebooktwitterreddit

Jaylen Samuels and Airius Moore claim Offensive and Defensive MVP as the NC State Wolfpack defeats its first SEC opponent since 1999.

SHREVEPORT, LA — The NC State Wolfpack (7-6, 3-5 ACC) scored on offense, defense, and special teams in its dominating victory in the Camping World Independence Bowl over Vanderbilt (6-7, 3-5 SEC), 41-17.

“We played physical, and I thought we played really hard,” head coach Dave Doeren said. “I’m excited about what’s ahead, and I’m incredibly proud of the resiliency and the persistence these guys have. They really wanted that win, and you could see it.”

Samuels led the Wolfpack offensive with 104 receiving yards on six receptions, scoring three times. He also rushed for nine yards on two carries. Ryan Finley completed 19 of his 30 passing attempts for 235 yards and three touchdowns in the win. Matthew Dayes carried the ball nine times and gained 47 yards on the ground while recording one reception for 13 yards.

More from North Carolina State Wolfpack

The defense shined brightest for the Pack Monday afternoon, attacking Commodores quarterback Kyle Shurmur relentlessly. State sacked Shurmur five times for a loss of 30 yards with Moore leading the charge with two for a loss of 11.

Moore led the Wolfpack in total tackles with nine while also breaking up two passes. Trae Meadows, Josh Jones, and Niles Clark each intercepted Shurmur with Clark reaching the end zone on his pick.

“We knew what they were going to do,” NC State defensive lineman Bradley Chubb said. “We had to stick together and make sure [Vanderbilt’s offensive plays] didn’t turn into touchdowns.”

Nyheim Hines also had a stellar performance against Vanderbilt. He led the team in all-purpose yards with 191, catching six passes for 69 yards. His marquee play came following a Commodore touchdown early in the fourth quarter. Receiving the kickoff from the NC State goal line, he carved his way through the Vanderbilt kickoff unit to reach the end zone, cementing the Pack’s victory.

The Commodores drew first blood with a 52-yard field goal, an Independence Bowl record, in the first quarter by Tommy Openshaw.

NC State would get on the scoreboard with nine minutes left in the first half on a nine-yard strike from Finley to Samuels, taking the lead. With less than a minute and a half left in the second quarter, the Pack would extend its lead with another Samuels touchdown reception, this time for 55 yards.

“[Our plan was] just get him [Samuels] the ball as much as possible,” Finley said. “We call it ‘JaySam Time.’ Even if he’s covered, just throw him the ball.”

Reggie Gallaspy II provided the Wolfpack’s only rushing touchdown of the game, scoring from five yards out with 11:50 remaining in the third quarter. He finished with 26 yards on the ground on 11 carries. Samuels scored later in the quarter on a 17-yard strike before the Commodores got back on the scoreboard.

More from Old North Banter

Ralph Webb, Vanderbilt’s leading rusher, punched the ball in the end zone with a 30-yard rush with less than a minute remaining in the third quarter. He would finish with 111 yards on 21 carries.

The Commodores would later get inside the Wolfpack’s 5-yard line thanks to a 71-yard punt return from Kalija Lipscomb. Vanderbilt would only need three plays to reach pay dirt, scoring on a one-yard rush from Khari Blasingame. State would immediately respond with Hines’ touchdown return.

Next: 12 Days of Packmas

Vanderbilt would continue to fight for the remainder of the game but to no avail. As the last seconds ticked away, Clark took Shurmur’s final ball thrown 32 yards into Vanderbilt’s end zone to seal the Wolfpack’s victory.