Charlotte 49ers: Taking Down Another CUSA Titan

Sep 24, 2016; Philadelphia, PA, USA; A helmet rests on the field while the Charlotte 49ers warm up prior to a game against the Temple Owls at Lincoln Financial Field. Mandatory Credit: Derik Hamilton-USA TODAY Sports
Sep 24, 2016; Philadelphia, PA, USA; A helmet rests on the field while the Charlotte 49ers warm up prior to a game against the Temple Owls at Lincoln Financial Field. Mandatory Credit: Derik Hamilton-USA TODAY Sports /
facebooktwitterreddit

The Charlotte 49ers brought home the fourth win of the year, going 38-27 against the Southern Miss Eagles.

The Charlotte 49ers proved me right. They won four games. However they have also proved me wrong and four doesn’t have to be the end of story anymore. Not only did they win four games, but they took three games that I didn’t see them winning.

Sure, the flipping of Florida Atlantic for Florida International is not a big thing. However the 49ers have taken down the two traditional powers of their conference in the last two weeks. First it was Marshall. Now it is Southern Miss. Southern Miss, the school of Brett Favre that last won a conference title under current North Carolina coach Larry Fedora.

There aren’t a lot of names to point at in Conference USA, but these two are the crown jewels. If last week was the biggest win in program history then this week probably trumped it. It has just been that kind of year.

More from North Carolina Sports

Khalif Phillips having a big game is not surprise. Hassan Klugh has continued to be a pleasant surprise as the quarterback. Robert Washington a big scoring run of his own and added ninety-four yards of his own to Phillips’ 183.

Despite this, this was a victory for the defense and the special teams. The 49ers had three picks including two by Terrance Winchester. That helped the 49ers to a twenty-one point second quarter. In the third quarter, Ed Rolle’s blocked punt touchdown return put the game well out of reach.

More from Old North Banter

The 49ers return home to face the Rice Owls next week. They are now two games out of a potential bowl berth. Despite limited Conference USA spots, there are still forty bowl games that need teams. Current projections may have 5-7 teams in the bowls. Rice and the season finale against UTSA are the most likely wins, but I would like to see a win against Middle Tennessee after the result last season.