N.C. State: Dennis Smith, Jr. Preseason ACC Freshman of the Year

Oct 26, 2016; Charlotte, NC, USA; Dennis Smith, Jr. of the North Carolina State Wolfpack speaks to the media during ACC Operation Basketball at The Ritz-Carlton. Mandatory Credit: Jim Dedmon-USA TODAY Sports
Oct 26, 2016; Charlotte, NC, USA; Dennis Smith, Jr. of the North Carolina State Wolfpack speaks to the media during ACC Operation Basketball at The Ritz-Carlton. Mandatory Credit: Jim Dedmon-USA TODAY Sports /
facebooktwitterreddit

N.C. State Wolfpack’s Dennis Smith, Jr is raising eyebrows even among the talented freshmen of the ACC.

This week at the ACC Media Day, N.C. State’s incoming freshman Dennis Smith, Jr. was named the Preseason ACC Rookie of the Year. In addition, Smith was voted on to the Preseason All-ACC First Team. Smith is the only freshman to make the preseason all-ACC first team.

Smith ranks as the No. 1 point guard in ESPN’s Top 100 in the class of 2016. He is also the No. 4 overall player for ESPN’s Top 100 in the class of 2016.

Smith’s skill set resembles current NBA stars Russell Westbrook and Derrick Rose (pre-knee surgeries). Smith has the type of game that could lead N.C. State to an ACC Championship and a national championship.

N.C. State head coach Mark Gottfried stated last month:

"Dennis Smith is the best guard in the country – period; hands down. Dennis is going to be the face of our team. I’ve told NBA guys I’d build my franchise around him.”"

If this is not enough warning of how Smith will take over college basketball, check out DraftExpress. DraftExpress projects Smith to be selected as the number two overall pick in the 2017 NBA Draft.

If this video isn’t enough to convince you that Dennis Smith, Jr. is the next big star of college basketball, then view this one. If that video does not change your mind about Smith, then watch this one. Or, this one.

Next: Dennis Smith, Jr. freshman basketball star

Dennis Smith, Jr. has the goods. This young man can flat out play. He could possibly best the Rookie of the Year and the ACC Player of the Year. I project him to average 24 points, 11 assists and six rebounds per game as a freshman. Enjoy Smith while you can because he will surely be a one-and-done player.