Carolina Panthers: The Five Players To Decide the Season

Jan 17, 2016; Charlotte, NC, USA; Carolina Panthers defensive tackle Kawann Short (99) celebrates his sack with teammate Star Lotulelei (98) on Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson (3) in the first quarter during the NFC Divisional round playoff game at Bank of America Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Sam Sharpe-USA TODAY Sports
Jan 17, 2016; Charlotte, NC, USA; Carolina Panthers defensive tackle Kawann Short (99) celebrates his sack with teammate Star Lotulelei (98) on Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson (3) in the first quarter during the NFC Divisional round playoff game at Bank of America Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Sam Sharpe-USA TODAY Sports /
facebooktwitterreddit
Prev
6 of 6
Next
carolina panthers
Jan 24, 2016; Charlotte, NC, USA; Carolina Panthers free safety Tre Boston (33) celebrates after an interception during the fourth quarter against the Arizona Cardinals in the NFC Championship football game at Bank of America Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jeremy Brevard-USA TODAY Sports /
  1. Tre Boston

In 2014, the Panthers were looking for answers so they decided to revamp the secondary with an emphasis on speed. The result was a promotion for Boston and the defense played better after that decision. The next year Coleman came out of nowhere and Boston became the third wheel, coming in for Coleman or Roman Harper in substitutions.

Now Harper is gone and Boston is the heir apparent. How much did he learn from last year of coming off the bench?

More from Old North Banter

I say this because I saw Boston play college ball. I saw the unnecessary risks and blown coverages at times. It means I also saw his speed, but the best thing for the Panthers would be if he left the bad parts of his college experience behind him. The Panthers do not need a hole at whichever safety spot they put him.

The Panthers’ willingness to part ways with Harper should be considered a good sign in this regard. They must know something, but maybe they are just betting on speed and Harper was getting a step slow. Given the amount of time that Boston will be on the field and the youth of the Panthers secondary, he is the one role player that the Panthers need competence from.

Next: Panthers All Time Twenty Year Team 2.0

If they can get big performances from these five guys then the Panthers will be well on their way back to success in the playoffs. If not, then we will be wondering about what might have been at some point along the way.