Carolina Panthers: The Five Players To Decide the Season

Jan 17, 2016; Charlotte, NC, USA; Carolina Panthers defensive tackle Kawann Short (99) celebrates his sack with teammate Star Lotulelei (98) on Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson (3) in the first quarter during the NFC Divisional round playoff game at Bank of America Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Sam Sharpe-USA TODAY Sports
Jan 17, 2016; Charlotte, NC, USA; Carolina Panthers defensive tackle Kawann Short (99) celebrates his sack with teammate Star Lotulelei (98) on Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson (3) in the first quarter during the NFC Divisional round playoff game at Bank of America Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Sam Sharpe-USA TODAY Sports /
facebooktwitterreddit
Prev
3 of 6
Next
carolina panthers
Feb 7, 2016; Santa Clara, CA, USA; Carolina Panthers kicker Graham Gano (9) kicks a third quarter field goal in Super Bowl 50 at Levi /
  1. Graham Gano

The Panthers offense turned in a bunch of points last year. It was a good thing too since Gano seemed to be on the wrong end of several 50/50 kick decisions. This includes Gano’s missed field goal in the Super Bowl, which seems minor but would have changed the mentality of the game.

If we are going to say that football is won on the margins, we cannot forget the kicker. If Gano puts in a solid year where he hits everything within 45 yards then the Panthers are much better off. The original Panthers model was to have the defense win games supported by a strong running game, you know before Newton blew that up.

If the Panthers have a target on their back and every defense they play is better, we may end up back needing field goals to win close games. That puts a premium on Gano, and he is not get younger either.

Next: Three