NC State Wolfpack: Progress Report on the Quarterback Factory

Jan 3, 2016; Denver, CO, USA; Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning (18) and San Diego Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers (17) greet each other after the game at Sports Authority Field at Mile High. The Broncos won 27-20. Mandatory Credit: Chris Humphreys-USA TODAY Sports
Jan 3, 2016; Denver, CO, USA; Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning (18) and San Diego Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers (17) greet each other after the game at Sports Authority Field at Mile High. The Broncos won 27-20. Mandatory Credit: Chris Humphreys-USA TODAY Sports /
facebooktwitterreddit
Prev
5 of 5
Next
Dec 26, 2015; Bronx, NY, USA; Duke Blue Devils head coach David Cutcliffe (C0 lifts the 2015 New Era Pinstripe Bowl Championship trophy following the game against the Indiana Hoosiers at Yankee Stadium. The Blue Devils won 44-41 in overtime. Mandatory Credit: Rich Barnes-USA TODAY Sports
Dec 26, 2015; Bronx, NY, USA; Duke Blue Devils head coach David Cutcliffe (C0 lifts the 2015 New Era Pinstripe Bowl Championship trophy following the game against the Indiana Hoosiers at Yankee Stadium. The Blue Devils won 44-41 in overtime. Mandatory Credit: Rich Barnes-USA TODAY Sports /

Duke Blue Devils

Two years ago, I said:

“Before we crown State as local QB champs, we can’t sleep on Duke. No, I’m not that big of a Thad Lewis fan. I was thinking someone further back. While others on this list may become Hall of Famers, Sonny Jurgensen already is. His inclusion might just tip the balance.”

Right now Duke is the only other rival to State in terms of current quarterback numbers. Renfree and Lewis make two. While Thomas Sirk may not make three next year, the quarterback whisperer is still on campus. In fact two years ago I said:

More from Old North Banter

“Peyton Manning and Eli Manning mentor David Cutcliffe is still the coach at Duke and he will attract quarterback recruits who want to build their game for the pros. So Duke is well situated to contribute draft worthy QB talent.”

Then I finished that piece with one big question:

“Still none of these QB legacies are terribly impressive. Remember that Miami once went from Jim Kelly to Bernie Kosar to Vinny Testaverde and even BYU had a string including Jim McMahon, Steve Young, and Ty Detmer. So the question is, will this change in the future?”

Next: Erik Kramer is Getting Better

The situation is less clear two years in. State continues to put up new QBs, but the Tar Heels and Pirates have not. Perhaps this comes from labeling their guys as ‘system quarterbacks’ but this 2016 and everyone runs the spread.