Carolina Panthers Off-season Predictions

Feb 24, 2016; Indianapolis, IN, USA; Carolina Panthers general manager Dave Gettleman speaks to the media during the 2016 NFL Scouting Combine at Lucas Oil Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Brian Spurlock-USA TODAY Sports
Feb 24, 2016; Indianapolis, IN, USA; Carolina Panthers general manager Dave Gettleman speaks to the media during the 2016 NFL Scouting Combine at Lucas Oil Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Brian Spurlock-USA TODAY Sports /
facebooktwitterreddit
Prev
3 of 4
Next
Nov 21, 2015; Stillwater, OK, USA; Oklahoma State Cowboys defensive end Emmanuel Ogbah (38) causes a fumble by Baylor Bears quarterback Jarrett Stidham (3) in the second quarter at Boone Pickens Stadium. Ogbah recovered the fumble. Mandatory Credit: Tim Heitman-USA TODAY Sports
Nov 21, 2015; Stillwater, OK, USA; Oklahoma State Cowboys defensive end Emmanuel Ogbah (38) causes a fumble by Baylor Bears quarterback Jarrett Stidham (3) in the second quarter at Boone Pickens Stadium. Ogbah recovered the fumble. Mandatory Credit: Tim Heitman-USA TODAY Sports /

DRAFT

This draft is absolutely loaded when it comes to defensive talent and not so much in terms of offensive talent. Panthers are lucky that some of their positions of need are absolutely filled with talented prospects in the draft this year.

With so much talent available I fully expect to see the Panthers stay put and select where they are at this year unlike last year when they moved up in the 2nd round to select Devin Funchess. Let us take a look at who I think we target in the first 2 rounds of the NFL draft this year.

In the first round I would be on the lookout for three prospects that stand out to me. First is the DE from Oklahoma State Emmanuel Ogbah who is a monster on the defensive line and would fit in perfectly with the Panthers. Next is the WR from TCU Josh Doctson who is someone I think is more of a luxury than a need but would still be a great option at pick 30.

More from Old North Banter

Last but not least is Derrick Henry which is the RB out of Alabama and the Heisman winning player this past college football season. You may ask “Why a running back?” and it is because Johnathan Stewart is getting older and Henry seems to fit exactly what the Panthers want in a running back. Henry is tough, physical, and able to find holes in the offensive line to get down field. Henry is unlikely but I feel he is a great option none the less.

In the second round I would on the lookout for a couple of prospects who could be Panthers after the draft. The first prospect that comes to mind is Carol Nassib who is a DE out of Penn State. Watching video highlights of two things standout Nassib is very fast off the edge getting after the quarterback and he can stop the run game on the edges. Nassib reminds me a lot of Greg Hardy (not in the bad way of course) and I think he is a sleeper in this draft.

Another name to look out for is Sheldon Day the DE/DT out of Notre Dame. Day is a bull rusher who clogs up the middle (in the words of Gettleman a Hog Mollie).

Next: Conclusion