Carolina Panthers Off-season Predictions

Feb 24, 2016; Indianapolis, IN, USA; Carolina Panthers general manager Dave Gettleman speaks to the media during the 2016 NFL Scouting Combine at Lucas Oil Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Brian Spurlock-USA TODAY Sports
Feb 24, 2016; Indianapolis, IN, USA; Carolina Panthers general manager Dave Gettleman speaks to the media during the 2016 NFL Scouting Combine at Lucas Oil Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Brian Spurlock-USA TODAY Sports /
facebooktwitterreddit
Prev
2 of 4
Next
Jan 3, 2016; Atlanta, GA, USA; Atlanta Falcons running back Devonta Freeman (24) celebrates with center Gino Gradkowski (66) after catching a touchdown pass against the New Orleans Saints during the second quarter at the Georgia Dome. Mandatory Credit: Dale Zanine-USA TODAY Sports
Jan 3, 2016; Atlanta, GA, USA; Atlanta Falcons running back Devonta Freeman (24) celebrates with center Gino Gradkowski (66) after catching a touchdown pass against the New Orleans Saints during the second quarter at the Georgia Dome. Mandatory Credit: Dale Zanine-USA TODAY Sports /

FREE AGENCY

The Panthers started the free agency period by resigning some of their own guys. Charles Johnson, Mike Tolbert, Stephen Hill, and Joe Webb were all resigned to the team. The Panthers extended the second round tender for Mike Remmers and franchise tagged Josh Norman. Punter Brad Nortman is gone after taking a deal with the Jacksonville Jaguars.

The only player not on the team last year so far that has signed with the Panthers is Gino Gradkowski who will play the role of backup center. So, where does that leave the Panthers at so far in free agency?

Well the team is no doubt making calls to agents and looking at their options. The Panthers currently as of today sit around 19 million in cap space which is quite a bit actually. Some of that cap space could be used to try and extend Kawann Short which is going to take at least half of that cap space away from future deals.

More from Carolina Panthers

With that cap space they have to spend on other players there is still some solid players available to choose from. The holes on a team coming off a Super Bowl run that came up a little bit short (insert sad face here again) are small but still need to be fixed.

Three positions I think we address in the free agency period are offensive tackle (depth), defensive tackle (depth), and safety (starter or depth). These three positions are needed in my opinion and most likely would be better if experienced players were signed to them.

I trust Dave Gettleman completely now after his impressive run as our GM continues but of course we all have opinions so take my predictions with a grain of salt. I could be right and I personally believe these type of signings would help the team greatly. Of course I could be wrong because getting inside the head of Gettleman is impossible and even opposing GMs struggle trying to do so.

Next: The Draft