Super Bowl 50: Why the hate for Cam Newton?

facebooktwitterreddit
Prev
3 of 5
Next
carolina panthers
Dec 6, 2015; New Orleans, LA, USA; Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton (1) reacts after a first down against the New Orleans Saints during the second quarter at Mercedes-Benz Superdome. Mandatory Credit: Derick E. Hingle-USA TODAY Sports /

2. He’s a ‘diva’

Then we get to the more personality based criticism. Newton proclaimed early in his career that he wanted to be an icon. They may have turned some fans off (I personally wanted to see him win games first) but it definitely gave fuel to the fans who have to play the Panthers. The dancing and the prancing is seen by these other fans as disrespect.

To my memory Cam has never been flagged for end zone activity. His biggest crime is reveling in the moment. This is what is so devastating to a rival fan watching the game. The Panthers have scored on you, your team is behind or perhaps just lost the game. You agonize over the reverse, then the camera pans to Cam and you see the dance and giving the ball to the kid and you feel that much worse about it.Being human, you direct your anger toward Cam, because no one should be having fun while your team is losing, and not your defense that gave up the score.

This would also be the time to point out that Cam says all the right things in interviews, where a true diva would try for controversy.

Next: Different?