Nov 28, 2015; Stillwater, OK, USA; Oklahoma Sooners offensive coordinator Lincoln Riley watches a replay during the second half against the Oklahoma State Cowboys at Boone Pickens Stadium. Oklahoma won 58-23. Mandatory Credit: Rob Ferguson-USA TODAY Sports
More from Old North Banter
- Carolina Panthers: Secondary battles to watch in training camp 2020
- Carolina Panthers: 2020 training camp kicks off on Tuesday
- NC Colleges Provide Coronavirus Results from Athletic Departments
- Court alleges Zion’s Stepfather received $400k
- UNC Football gets Commitment from Top Cornerback
Fourth, the current coaching environment is chaotic. If the Pirates have a candidate in mind they to go get him before he goes to one of the many openings. If the carousel was less active, East Carolina might have waited to see if McNeill could do better.
The man they want to make sure they can grab is probably Oklahoma offensive coordinator Lincoln Riley. He brought the offensive scheme to Greenville and is considered a hot young coaching commodity. He knows the recruiting ground and there would be a minimum of upheaval between the outgoing and incoming coach. The Pirates may have to get to him first though.
As for McNeill, hopefully he can continue his football coaching career somewhere perhaps at the coordinator level or as a defensive backs coach. It is hard to see him doing that since East Carolina was his self-professed destination job.