North Carolina Tar Heels: Potential to Jump in Playoff Ratings

facebooktwitterreddit
Prev
5 of 10
Next

Nov 28, 2015; Ann Arbor, MI, USA; Ohio State Buckeyes quarterback J.T. Barrett (16) rushes in the second half against the Michigan Wolverines at Michigan Stadium. Ohio State won 42-13. Mandatory Credit: Tim Fuller-USA TODAY Sports

6. Ohio State Buckeyes

Obstacle Difficulty: Hard

Rationale:
Conference champ vs not conference champ
Performance against common opponents: Illinois, Virginia Tech

This would really depend on how much the committee values conference championships. North Carolina was more dominant versus Illinois, but Ohio State played that game away not at home like the Tar Heels. Ohio State was more dominant against Virginia Tech, but they knocked out Tech’s quarterback and North Carolina faced Frank Beamer in his final home game ever.

One of the things I do not like about the playoff is that it devalues conference championships. Essentially all the games serve as is an additional game to buff strength of schedule. If they were meaningful then we would not be considering if UNC gets in by beating Clemson.

Ohio State is not even playing in its championship, which also means it cannot hurt its one loss record this weekend.

Next: Michigan State Spartans