5 Carolinians on the Wuerffel Trophy Watch List

facebooktwitterreddit

The Danny Wuerffel Trophy is unique in college football. It has nothing to do with on field accomplishment and everything to do with community service off the field. As a result the names to be found on this Watch List are all over the place. They reflect every position and many different schools. That means that they do reflect the schools of North Carolina as well. There are five such candidates from every school except ECU and Charlotte.

More from North Carolina State Wolfpack

The Wuerffel Trophy is voted on by a number of media and other football related figures and given out by the All Sports Association. Obviously any player on this list is worth rooting for even if they fill up no other stat sheet than service hours.

The Carolinians on the Watch List are as follows:

Doug Middleton – Appalachian State – Defensive Back – Senior
Kelby Brown – Duke – Linebacker – Grad Student
Shakeel Rashad – North Carolina – Linebacker – Senior
Tony Adams – NC State – Offensive Line – Sophomore
Ryan Janvion – Wake Forest – Defensive Back – Junior

More from Old North Banter

The list seems dominated by seniors, but not by that much. I wonder what will happen to Brown’s eligibility for this list. I would imagine he is ineligible, as he is no longer a player. However community service is the one thing that he could do that his injury would not affect.

The appearance of Adams on this list bodes well for his future. If Adams is already known as a community servant as a sophomore, then he should easily have two more tries at this moving forward. I guess that would make him the best bet to win, albeit eventually, out of everyone on the list.

This also seems like a lost opportunity for East Carolina and Charlotte. Both schools could have benefitted from the easy publicity that an inclusion of one player on this list would have brought.

Next: Outland Trophy Watch List