With the 25th pick the Carolina Panthers select…

facebooktwitterreddit

Feb 21, 2015; Indianapolis, IN, USA; Washington linebacker Shaq Thompson talks to the media at the 2015 NFL Combine at Lucas Oil Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Trevor Ruszkowski-USA TODAY Sports

With the 25th pick the Carolina Panthers select Shaq Thompson.  Thompson was a surprise to many, even though I had heard of his name before the draft, and watched his videos.

More from Carolina Panthers

I thought for sure the Panthers were going WR with their pick, but instead they chose to pick a LB/SS/RB, and yes he plays all three positions well.  I am kind of disappointed in this pick, not from a talent standpoint, but from a need standpoint.  I thought there was plenty of WR help there at 25, that the Panthers could have chosen.

Jan 2, 2015; Tempe, AZ, USA; Washington Huskies linebacker Shaq Thompson (7) against the Oklahoma State Cowboys in the 2015 Cactus Bowl at Sun Devil Stadium. Oklahoma State defeated Washington 30-22. Mandatory Credit: Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

The WR class, as a twitter follower reminded me, is deep, and I know that Shaq Thompson is a rare athlete and with three extremely fast, hard hitting LBs on the field offenses will be shaking in their cleats.  I see Thompson as a linebacker, but he has the versatility to play safety, and even some running back in emergency situations.

I recommend watching some Youtube videos on him, before dissing the pick completely.  He reminds me of a Thomas Davis coming out of college, (not to beat on a dead horse or anything).

Next: Carolina Panthers Draft Shaq Thompson