UNC Tar Heels Recruiting To Fill Tokoto’s Spot In Lineup

facebooktwitterreddit

Mar 25, 2015; Los Angeles, CA, USA; North Carolina Tar Heels forward J.P. Tokoto (13) shoots during practice before the semifinal of the west regional at Staples Center. Mandatory Credit: Robert Hanashiro-USA TODAY Sports

The UNC Tar Heels lost an important member of the team in JP Tokoto when he declared for the draft, and now the team is recruiting two players to, possibly, fill his role at shooting guard.

The two players Roy Williams is recruiting are Brandon Ingram and Jaylen Brown, and both of these players are extremely talented.  Brown is the higher rated recruit but, in my opinion, Ingram is not very far off, from a skill set standpoint. Both players would boost UNC further into championship contenders talk.  Let us take a better look at each recruit, and see what each one will offer UNC.

Brandon Ingram

Ingram is a talented player, and he has showcased that his entire high school career.  He is extremely long and athletic, but he needs to add weight to his frame, in order to become a better player at the next level.

He is extremely good at creating his own shot, and keeps defenders guessing whether he will pull up and shoot, or drive to the basket for an easy two points.  When looking at Ingram’s three point shooting, you can see he is more than capable of hitting either an open or contested three pointer.  The one weakness that is prevalent with UNC is poor shooting, and even though it got a lot better at the end of the season, it could use a shooter like Ingram.

Live Feed

3 Huge takeaways from the NBA's Inaugural In-Season Tournament
3 Huge takeaways from the NBA's Inaugural In-Season Tournament /

Sir Charles In Charge

  • Best NBA prop bets today for Pelicans vs. Lakers (Brandon Ingram revenge game?)Pelican Debrief
  • Pelicans vs. Lakers prediction and odds for NBA In-Season Tournament SemifinalsLake Show Life
  • Zion Williamson, Brandon Ingram have hilarious response to In-Season Tournament rewardFanSided
  • Best NBA prop bets today for Pelicans vs. Kings (Brandon Ingram, CJ McCollum undervalued)Pelican Debrief
  • Pelicans vs. Kings prediction and odds for NBA In-Season Tournament QuarterfinalsA Royal Pain
  • I see Ingram as a one and done player, and if he adds weight to his frame, he could easily be a top 3 pick.  This is based on potential, and the skill set he delivers right away.  He can play good defense, and with his size he should be able to challenge shots well.

    I hate to say this, but he would be an immediate upgrade over Tokoto, because Tokoto could not shoot the ball at all.  Ingram claims he grew up a UNC fan, but I dislike it when a kid says that, and then takes this long to decide. Either you are a true fan of the team, or you were never a fan at all, it is that simple.

    Jaylen Brown

    Brown is the more polished player, and his frame is built to battle inside and outside of the paint.  He has good size for his position, and he displays a dunking ability that is incredible.  The shooting from outside is not a worry either with Brown, who can step back off the dribble, and bury a three pointer with ease.

    Brown could push UNC closer to a dominant level on the court, and would easily make them the best team in the country.  I like this guy’s game, and the fact that he is a more polished version of Ingram.

    Live Feed

    13-year vet's potential fit on Boston Celtics next to Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown deemed solid
    13-year vet's potential fit on Boston Celtics next to Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown deemed solid /

    Hardwood Houdini

  • Boston Celtics star missing All-Star Game would have criticism reach new and unprecedented heightsHardwood Houdini
  • Marquee Boston Celtics offseason addition's advice for Jaylen Brown after ejectionHardwood Houdini
  • Analyst says Boston Celtics have Big Four despite fourth star's numbers not poppingHardwood Houdini
  • Jaylen Brown can expect moderately sized fine after shots at ref who ejected him from Boston Celtics win over NYHardwood Houdini
  • 5 Celtics who are untradeable, 2 they can afford to let goHardwood Houdini
  • Brown has the ability to be an excellent defender, as well as a very good offensive player.  At the college level he is, no doubt in my mind, a one and done player as well.  I could see Brown going at number one in the draft next year, and at worst he is a number two pick.

    If he goes to UNC, then all the other ACC teams should really start to worry, and for that matter the whole nation.  Kentucky taught us this past season though, that even the best teams on paper, can still go home without a championship.

    More from North Carolina Tar Heels

    Well there you have it guys, I know it was a brief description of both players, but these two players match exactly what UNC needs.  They can provide all of what Tokoto delivered, plus they can shoot the ball extremely well.  Ingram will announce his decision April 27, which was reported by Chris Fisher of 247 Sports, and I would be shocked for a so called “UNC fan” not to pick the Tar Heels.  I have not seen a date for when Brown will decide.  Either way UNC will fill the void somehow, and get back on top next season, with or without one of these two guys.  GO HEELS!