SWEET 16 Preview: NC State Wolfpack v. Louisville Cardinals

facebooktwitterreddit

The NC State Wolfpack (22-13)  meets Louisville (26-8) in Sweet Sixteen on Friday.

It can happen

If you’ve watched sports long enough, you understand that anything can happen.  Just when you thought you have seen it all….

Live Feed

NCAA: Thanks to a judge from Ohio, the transfer portal just got even crazier
NCAA: Thanks to a judge from Ohio, the transfer portal just got even crazier /

Garnet and Cocky

  • NCAA Basketball: Picks for Day 37 of the 2023-2024 SeasonBusting Brackets
  • Georgetown vs Notre Dame: 2023-24 college basketball game preview, TV scheduleBusting Brackets
  • Alabama Football: A Crimson Tide Transfer Portal wish listBama Hammer
  • NCAA Basketball: Picks for Day 37 of the 2023-24 seasonBusting Brackets
  • NCAA Basketball: 12 teams that should target transfer Nae'Qwan TomlinBusting Brackets
  • In the case of the rematch between the North Carolina State Wolfpack and Louisville Cardinals, those who have already penciled Rick Pitino’s team into the Elite Eight had better think again.  The old adage that “its hard to beat a team twice in the same season” is a myth.  In college basketball it happens all the time.

    This season alone, Duke swept North Carolina.  Virgina swept NC State and Notre Dame swept North Carolina.  Sometimes teams simply match up well.  Sometimes teams just have the other team’s number.

    After the February loss Pitino said, ”We got dominated at all five positions tonight.”  The unexpected home loss to Mark Gottfried’s Wolfpack occurred during a stretch when the Pack was 15-11 and the Cardinals were ranked #9 in the country.  The stunning 74-65 loss seemed to be the turning point in the Wolfpack season.  The squad has improved and played much better team basketball ever since.

    Feb 14, 2015; Louisville, KY, USA; North Carolina State Wolfpack guard Anthony Barber (12) dribbles against Louisville Cardinals guard Terry Rozier (0) during the second half at KFC Yum! Center. N.C. State defeated Louisville 74-65. Mandatory Credit: Jamie Rhodes-USA TODAY Sports

    On Friday, the two teams meet again with a lot at stake.  This time on a neutral court at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, New York.  We should see a competitive game with two teams playing their best basketball.  NC State’s bigs have improved twofold since the February 14, 2015 meeting.  Abdul-Malik Abu’s late season progression is reminiscent of Lorenzo Charles’ rise during that magical 1983 championship run.

    BeeJay Anya’s continued steadying presence inside has helped solidify the frontline as he inches toward Thurl Bailey’s season shot block record.  Lennard Freeman and Kyle Washington provide the muscle that make the engine purr.   The big three: Ralston Turner, Trevor Lacey and Anthony “Cat” Barber have been dependable all season long.  Even when one has an off game, the other two usually step up.

    Louisville has seen many changes and positive progression as well.  After slumping toward the end of the ACC season barely eeking out wins against Georgia Tech and Miami, the Cardinals have rebounded with wins over UC-Irvine and Northern Iowa in the NCAA Tournament.

    The improvement in part has been credited to the play of freshman point guard Quentin Snider who took over the reigns when Pitino dismissed senior Chris Jones for sexual assault charges.  Pitino said, ”I think we’ve realized certain things defensively where and how we get beat.  And I think we’re much smarter in the past month than we’ve been. I think that’s why we’re a better basketball team.”

    PREDICTION:  NC State 70 – Louisville 59

    More from North Carolina State Wolfpack

    Cardinal Stats

    Quentin Snider-  3 ppg (recent new starter)

    Terry Rozier-  17 ppg, 5 rebounds

    Montrezl Harrell-  15.8 ppg, 9 rebounds

    Wayne Blackshear-   10.7 ppg, 4 rebounds

    **CHRIS JONES (dismissed)- averaged 13.7 ppg, 4 rpg, and 3 apg

    UP NEXT:  Louisville Cardinals
    Sweet 16 Round –

    Carrier Dome, Syracuse, New York

    Friday,  March 27, 2015 at 7:37pm