NO MAS: Ugly Loss for NC State Wolfpack 77-53

facebooktwitterreddit

No.2 Duke (29-3, 15-3 ACC) pummeled North Carolina State 77-53 in the quarterfinal tournament game Thursday night at the Greensboro Coliseum.  NC State (20-13, 10-8 ACC) administered a similar beating on January 11th to then No.2 Duke in Raleigh.

Live Feed

NC State vs Tennessee: 2023-24 college basketball game preview, TV schedule
NC State vs Tennessee: 2023-24 college basketball game preview, TV schedule /

Busting Brackets

  • NFL rumors: Kyler Murray sticking in AZ? Eagles mole, Joe Flacco's job just got even harderFanSided
  • AFC North Power Rankings: Browns, Ravens, and Bengals making playoff pushDawg Pound Daily
  • How Much is My Apex Legends Account Worth?DBLTAP
  • Joe Flacco's performance raises questions about the value of Deshaun Watson's record-breaking contractDawg Pound Daily
  • Fantasy Football: 3 must-start QBs that could carry you to the next round of playoffsFantasy CPR
  • However, on Thursday, revenge was in the air and this loss for the Wolfpack seemed much worse.  For starters the game was a eye-opener for the NC State Wolfpack who had been playing really good basketball.  Second, “Barber Time” was exposed and the antidote to his penetration style of play was showcased for future opponents to emulate.   And last, the team just looked bad all around.  Burn this tape…and move on.

    NC State coach Mark Gottfried said, “Hopefully we get into the (NCAA) tournament.  I am not one to assume anything, but I believe UConn lost their conference tournament game by 40.  Then they came back and won six straight games.  We are going to let it go.  We are disappointed, but if we are chosen to play in the greatest show on earth, we are going to be excited about playing. We will move on from here today.”

    Mar 12, 2015; Greensboro, NC, USA; Duke Blue Devils center Marshall Plumlee (40) scores as North Carolina State Wolfpack guard Trevor Lacey (1) defends in the second half. The Blue Devils debated the Wolfpack 77-53 in the quarter finals of the ACC Tournament at Greensboro Coliseum. Mandatory Credit: Bob Donnan-USA TODAY Sports

    `Halftime:  Duke 49   – NC State  22

    Duke’s Quinn Cook scored 15 points as the Blue Devils won their 12th straight game.  After jumping out to an early double-digit lead, the Blue Devils never looked back.  They never trailed and eventually led by as many a 30 points over the hapless Wolfpack.  Reserve big man Marshall Plumlee scored 12 points (all dunks) on his way to a career high.

    [relate-category]

    Mar 12, 2015; Greensboro, NC, USA; North Carolina State Wolfpack guard Trevor Lacey (1) and Duke Blue Devils guard Matt Jones (13) fight for the ball in the first half in the quarter finals of the ACC Tournament at Greensboro Coliseum. Mandatory Credit: Bob Donnan-USA TODAY Sports

    FINAL:   DUKE  77  –  NC State  53

    QUICK STATS

    Trevor Lacey – 4 points, 2 rebounds, 2 assists

    Ralston Turner – 16 points, 2 rebounds, 1 assist

    Abdul-Malik Abu- 10 points, 3 rebounds

    Anthony “Cat” Barber- 0 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists

    BeeJay Anya- 8 points, 6 rebounds, 2 blocks

    Notables:

    • The game had no ties or lead changes
    • Duke had 46 points in the paint (NC State 22)
    • NC State was 5-18 in 3pt shooting (27.8%)
    • 22,026 in attendance

    NEXT UP:   TBA

    UPDATE:   NC State guard Anthony “Cat” Barber injured in Thursday night’s loss to Duke has been evaluated and cleared to play in the upcoming post season.  Barber, originally thought to have suffered a concussion, instead experienced neck muscle spasms.