NC State Wolfpack pounds Pitt Panthers 81-70

facebooktwitterreddit

It was the Cat Barber Show.

No wait it was the Trevor Lacey Show.

Wednesday night North Carolina State (20-12, 10-8) soundly defeated the Pittsburgh Panthers 81-70 in the 2nd Round of the ACC tournament.  Defense again ruled the day for the Wolfpack as they controlled Pittsburgh (19-14, 8-10) for most of the way with a comfortable double-digit lead.

More from North Carolina State Wolfpack

Complementing the defensive efforts was an explosive performance by 2 of the NC State Wolfpack’s Big Three.  Anthony “Cat” Barber scored 21 first half points and a career high 34 points for the game.  Trevor Lacey scored 21 pointed in his usual versatile all-around performance.

After the game, Barber explained the coaches keep telling him to Be Cat. When asked what that meant, Barber explained, ” Be aggressive be confident, be a leader.” That’s exactly what Cat Barber did tonight.

More from Old North Banter

If you are a Wolfpack fan, its nice to play an ACC tournament game knowing you are already in the Big Dance. This is not usually the case.   Since the days of Herb Sendek, the NC State Wolfpack has had to fight, claw and scratch their way into the NCAA tournament by having to win multiple games.   It feels wonderful not being a bubble team.   After tonight’s victory an invitation to the NCAA tournament is almost a certainty.

Barber hit two 3 pointers , nailed three free throws and completed a fast break lay-up as he scored 11 of the Wolfpack’s first 16 points allowing the Pack to jump out to an early 8 point lead.  NC State would add to the lead with Barber scoring the final 10 points before the break to lead by 14.

Mar 11, 2015; Greensboro, NC, USA; North Carolina State Wolfpack guard Anthony Barber (12) looks to pass as Pittsburgh Panthers forward Jamel Artis (1) defends in the second half. The Wolfpack defeated the Panthers 81-70 in the second round at Greensboro Coliseum. Mandatory Credit: Bob Donnan-USA TODAY Sports

Halftime: NC State 37 – Pittsburgh  23

The second half the Trevor Lacey show began.  Lacey said, “We’re not going to go in and make crazy plays, but we’re going to take advantage of the opportunities we do have and that’s what we did.”

Live Feed

NC State vs Tennessee: 2023-24 college basketball game preview, TV schedule
NC State vs Tennessee: 2023-24 college basketball game preview, TV schedule /

Busting Brackets

  • NFL rumors: Kyler Murray sticking in AZ? Eagles mole, Joe Flacco's job just got even harderFanSided
  • AFC North Power Rankings: Browns, Ravens, and Bengals making playoff pushDawg Pound Daily
  • How Much is My Apex Legends Account Worth?DBLTAP
  • Joe Flacco's performance raises questions about the value of Deshaun Watson's record-breaking contractDawg Pound Daily
  • Fantasy Football: 3 must-start QBs that could carry you to the next round of playoffsFantasy CPR
  • QUICK STATS

    Trevor Lacey – 21 points, 4 rebounds, 5 assists

    Ralston Turner –  4 points, 6 rebounds, 2 steals

    Anthony “Cat” Barber- 34 points, 3 rebounds, 5 assists

    BeeJay Anya- 7 points, 6 rebounds

    Notables:

    • NC State committed only 5 turnovers
    • NC State shot 53% from the field
    • NC State had  30 points in the paint (Pitt 16)
    • Barber hit 4 of 5 three pointers and was 12 for 12 from the free throw line
    • Barber and Lacey combined for 55 of the Pack’s 71 points
    • 22,026 in attendance

    NEXT UP:  Duke Blue Devils

    March 12, 2015 @ 7:00pm

    TV: ACC Network