Too Close for Comfort: NC State Wolfpack Charges back to win 73-65

facebooktwitterreddit

NC State Wolfpack survives a scare to beat Louisiana Tech 73 -65.

Trevor Lacey’s free throw at the 4:05 mark in the second half gave NC State its first lead of the game at 62-60.   The Wolfpack had finally caught up and passed a tenacious Louisiana Tech Bulldog (8-4) team at the pre-Christmas slugfest before an anxious 15,739 fans at PNC Arena in Raleigh, NC Tuesday night. Brimming with confidence, the team from Ruston, Louisiana, travelled to Tobacco Road to play NC State, after narrowly losing last week to another ACC foe: Syracuse 71-69.

Live Feed

NC State vs Tennessee: 2023-24 college basketball game preview, TV schedule
NC State vs Tennessee: 2023-24 college basketball game preview, TV schedule /

Busting Brackets

  • NFL rumors: Kyler Murray sticking in AZ? Eagles mole, Joe Flacco's job just got even harderFanSided
  • AFC North Power Rankings: Browns, Ravens, and Bengals making playoff pushDawg Pound Daily
  • How Much is My Apex Legends Account Worth?DBLTAP
  • Joe Flacco's performance raises questions about the value of Deshaun Watson's record-breaking contractDawg Pound Daily
  • Fantasy Football: 3 must-start QBs that could carry you to the next round of playoffsFantasy CPR
  • NC State Wolfpack Not Ready For Primetime

    I don’t know if it was overconfidence on the part of the Wolfpack, a better than advertised Bulldog squad or a combination of both. What we did find out though was that this 2014 Wolfpack team is not yet ready for the big stage. All too often we see this team struggle to handle pressure, commit costly turnovers and rely too much on three players to supply the offensive firepower.

    The Pack held on to defeat La. Tech 73-65 after a woeful first half that saw them absorb a 15 point deficit at halftime to a Conference USA team. The lead would eventually be 18 before the Pack woke up. Down 18 points at the 14:11 mark, the Wolfpack went on an 18-2 run to erase the Bulldog lead. In the final eight minutes of the game the Pack defense stepped up forcing 3 turnovers and holding La. Tech to 0-8 shooting from the field. Complementing the remarkable turnaround was the Pack hitting 8 of 9 free throws down the stretch, something that the Wolfpack has had difficulty doing in recent games.

    Winning Ugly is Still Winning

    When asked about the game, Coach Mark Gottfried said, ”That’s a character win…Character-building, and it’s a sign of great character in a team. … I’m not sure you could make a comeback like we did unless you have great character.”

    Ralston Turner had a rough outing scoring only 2 points on 1-7 shooting and 0-5 from three-point range.

    More from North Carolina State Wolfpack

    QUICK STATS:

    Trevor Lacey- 20 points, 5 rebounds, 1 assists

    Cat Barber – 17 points, 6 rebounds and 2 assists

    Kyle Washington –11 points and 10 rebounds

    Abdul-Malik Abu — 10 points and 5 rebounds

    UP NEXT: Cincinnati Bearcats

    WHEN: December 30, 2014  4:00pm @ PNC Arena, Raleigh, NC

    TV: ESPNU