East Carolina Pirates upset Virginia Tech Hokies, 28-21

facebooktwitterreddit

Yes, now is the time for you all to say “We told you so.”

I’ll admit that I was a non-believer, that I didn’t think that East Carolina would march into Lane Stadium and come out with a win. Heck, I even said that Virginia Tech would beat the spread.

Yet, the Pirates somehow did it, prevailing in a 28-21 game that saw the 21 unanswered points from the Hokies in the second and fourth quarters after 21 unanswered from ECU in the first.

Live Feed

South Carolina Basketball: Three thumbs up, three thumbs down vs. East Carolina
South Carolina Basketball: Three thumbs up, three thumbs down vs. East Carolina /

Garnet and Cocky

  • South Carolina Basketball: East Carolina lied, paid Spencer Rattler for a video; Gamecocks still wonGarnet and Cocky
  • South Carolina Basketball: Gamecocks survive physical road test to beat ECU, move to 8-1Garnet and Cocky
  • SMU vs. East Carolina Prediction, Odds, Trends and Key Players for College Football Week 7Betsided
  • College Football Top 25 Picks Against the Spread for Week 1Betsided
  • East Carolina vs. Michigan Prediction, Odds, Trends and Key Players for College Football Week 1Betsided
  • With the game nearing overtime, the game was on the shoulders of one quarterback, Shane Carden.

    The Pirates’ senior had a career day, finding paydirt three times through the air in the first quarter, and once on the ground to end the game.

    The run came in the closing seconds, capping off a 3 play, 65-yard drive with just under a minute and a half to go.

    Carden also finished his day with 427 yards passing and no interceptions while connecting with six different receiving targets.

    Leading the pack was Cam Worthy, who reeled in 224 yards receiving, while receiving leader Justin Hardy was held to just 47 yards on the day.

    Sep 13, 2014; Blacksburg, VA, USA; East Carolina Pirates defensive back Josh Hawkins (28) tries to jump over Virginia Tech Hokies running back Marshawn Williams (42) after an interception during the second quarter at Lane Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jeremy Brevard-USA TODAY Sports

    The Pirates enjoyed a comfortable 21-0 lead before the home team struck back, as quarterback Michael Brewer and the Hokie offense began connecting on long drives towards the second half.

    He finished with 298 yards passing on the day, connecting with Isaiah Ford twice on touchdowns and found Cam Phillips to tie the game with just over a minute to go, leading the way for the Pirates’ game-winning drive.

    The win puts ECU at 2-1 on the year, while the Hokies fall to 2-1 just a week after upsetting Ohio State in Columbus in one of the biggest wins in the program’s recent history.

    As for how this game affected polls, the Hokies dropped out of both Coaches’ and AP polls this week, yet somehow still gained more votes than ECU, who are not ranked after a road win over a ranked team.

    As nonsensical as it sounds,  that’s actually how it happened. The Hokies got 54 votes in the AP Poll compared to the Pirates’ 44, while the Coaches gave Tech 47 votes while only getting ECU 35.

    The Pirates will continue their quest for a top 25 ranking when the No. 24 North Carolina Tar Heels come to Greenville on Saturday at 3:30 p.m.