Cam Newton “absolutely ready” to start vs. Lions

facebooktwitterreddit

Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton answered to the media on Wednesday, saying that he is ready to start in the team’s home opener this Sunday against the Detroit Lions.

“It felt good to put back-to-back practices together and be grinding with the team,” the third-year signal-caller said.

Today was Newton’s second straight day of practices in full pads, and he and the team now feel he is ready to go against one of the premier defenses in the league.

Newton has been in injury woes since last season’s ankle injury and successful offseason surgery, and the recent hairline fracture of his ribs that kept him out of the Panthers’ preseason finale in Pittsburgh.

Now the Queen City Superman said he’s back to business as usual, and that it’s time to focus on his upcoming opponent and being on the same page with his wide receivers.

“I have full confidence in my offensive line,” he said. “My main focus is the Detroit Lions. This game is about the Carolina Panthers, not my health.”

Live Feed

Net Yards per Play Report for NFL Week 15 (Lions Thrive at Home)
Net Yards per Play Report for NFL Week 15 (Lions Thrive at Home) /

Betsided

  • 4 Carolina Panthers players who don't deserve to be on the roster beyond 2023Cat Crave
  • NFL Straight Up Picks for Every Game in Week 15 (Bears Upset, Bills Down Cowboys)Betsided
  • Panthers News: Derrick Brown, Thomas Brown, Chris Tabor and Tee HigginsCat Crave
  • Falcons vs. Panthers prediction, odds, spread, injuries, trends for NFL Week 15Blogging Dirty
  • Carolina Panthers staying the course with Bryce Young for good or badCat Crave
  • He also called tight end Greg Olsen, “an underrated talent in this league,” and also praised rookie receiver Kelvin Benjamin’s efforts against Tampa Bay last week.

    Newton said that this long period of time being injured was a “culture shock” to him, and that he looks to get back on the field on Sunday.

    He also commented on the pep talk he gave the team during last week’s 20-14 win over the Buccaneers, saying that he was trying to be a good teammate and help out backup quarterback Derek Anderson, who started under center in the win.

    Head coach Ron Rivera confirmed Newton’s starting role on Sunday, saying that he had a great practice on Wednesday and that we would start unless there was “some sort of physical setback in the next couple of days.”