AP College Football Poll 2014 Released: North Carolina 23rd

facebooktwitterreddit

The Associated Press released its preseason AP college football poll 2014 top 25, and it too seems to be affected by the new college football playoff. The reason I say this is because it contains no teams from lower conferences. During the BCS era, the polls always had Boise State or someone else in the mix to give the poll more diversity. It seems the coaches in D-1 and the writers of AP both believe that power conference teams are the only ones to track in the new environment. As their polls are now meaningless anyway, we are also free to ignore them.

More from North Carolina Sports

The AP poll (as taken from Jerry Hinnen of CBS Sports):

1. Florida State (57) — 1,496 points
2. Alabama (1) — 1,361
3. Oregon (1) — 1,334
4. Oklahoma (1) — 1,324
5. Ohio State — 1,207
6. Auburn — 1,198
7. UCLA — 1,106
8. Michigan State — 1,080
9. South Carolina — 1,015
10. Baylor — 996
11. Stanford — 885
12. Georgia — 843
13. LSU — 776
14. Wisconsin — 637

Live Feed

NC State vs Tennessee: 2023-24 college basketball game preview, TV schedule
NC State vs Tennessee: 2023-24 college basketball game preview, TV schedule /

Busting Brackets

  • NFL rumors: Kyler Murray sticking in AZ? Eagles mole, Joe Flacco's job just got even harderFanSided
  • AFC North Power Rankings: Browns, Ravens, and Bengals making playoff pushDawg Pound Daily
  • How Much is My Apex Legends Account Worth?DBLTAP
  • Joe Flacco's performance raises questions about the value of Deshaun Watson's record-breaking contractDawg Pound Daily
  • Fantasy Football: 3 must-start QBs that could carry you to the next round of playoffsFantasy CPR
  • 15. USC — 626
    16. Clemson — 536
    17. Notre Dame — 445
    18. Ole Miss — 424
    19. Arizona State — 357
    20. Kansas State — 242
    21. Texas A&M — 238
    22. Nebraska — 226
    23. North Carolina — 194
    24. Missouri — 134
    25. Washington — 130

    Dec 31, 2013; Atlanta, GA, USA; Duke Blue Devils head coach David Cutcliffe reacts on the sideline against the Texas A&M Aggies during the third quarter in the 2013 Chick-fil-a Bowl at the Georgia Dome. Mandatory Credit: Dale Zanine-USA TODAY Sports

    Others receiving votes: UCF 94, Florida 87, Texas 86, Duke 71, Iowa 68, Louisville 48, Marshall 41, Oklahoma St. 37, Virginia Tech 26, TCU 23, Mississippi St. 22, Michigan 19, Texas Tech 19, Miami 16, Cincinnati 15, Boise St. 10, Oregon St. 10, BYU 8, Northwestern 8, Penn St. 5, Navy 2, Vanderbilt 2, Louisiana 1, Nevada 1, Utah St. 1.

    There is not much difference between this poll and the Amway Coaches Poll. They have traded Missouri for Texas and that is it. UCF of the American Athletic Conference is the highest ranked team out of the Power 5 and they are in the receiving votes section. In my AAC preview I had them behind Cincy, Houston, and ECU. Cincy is in the receiving votes section of the poll, but ECU is nowhere to be found.

    I think that Cincinnati and ECU should be in the poll at the expense of the extra SEC or Pac-12 team. I also think there should be a Mountain West representative, either Boise or Utah State. They don’t have to be ranked high, but they could take some of those spots in the twenties that change so much anyway.

    North Carolina is ranked 23rd again and this would suggest that the national audience has higher expectations of the Tar Heels than the ACC media did or I do in my Tar Heels preview. North Carolina should hang in the rankings, if not rise, at least until they play ECU.

    Duke has lost two key players, and their future becomes more hazy as a result. However this says the national media likes them better than it does Virginia Tech or Miami.

    Please like our Facebook page, here.