Camilo Villegas Wins Wyndham Championship

facebooktwitterreddit

“We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.” – T.S. Eliot

The end of the Wyndham Championship looked much like the first round as the Colombian Spider-Man Camilo Villegas went low to secure the victory that he needed, his first since 2010. On both days he shot 63 and those combined numbers were enough to give him a -17 score and win by one stroke over Wake Forest’s Bill Haas and the Swede Freddie Jacobson.

Villegas did most of his damage on the front nine of the course, shooting four birdies and an eagle to put everyone else on notice. A final birdie on 15 created the winning margin.

More from North Carolina Sports

Other story lines:

Wake Forest Bill Haas DID make a Run.

Yesterday I noted Haas lurking on the leaderboard and today he shot a 64 and was only one shot off of Villegas when the day ended.

Heath Slocum Missed the Playoffs

Slocum finished alone in fourth and his -15 was not enough to boost him into the top 125. Scotsman Martin Laird also failed to qualify for the playoffs despite a good showing.

Live Feed

Grant Thornton Invitational sends message fans need: Golf is fun and for everyone
Grant Thornton Invitational sends message fans need: Golf is fun and for everyone /

FanSided

  • Pro Golf becomes a circusPro Golf Now
  • 57 is the new 67: Record-low scores dominate Round 1 of Grant Thornton InvitationalFanSided
  • Jon Rahm to LIV Golf is the turning point the game (and PGA Tour) needsFanSided
  • Is Rahm A Big Gauntlet Toss in LIV’s Negotiating Manual or Just a Pawn?Pro Golf Now
  • Reigning Masters Champion, Jon Rahm, set to join LIV Golf for massive paydayFanSided
  • The Simpson-Snedeker Duel Ended…in a Draw

    The Webb Simpson Ryder Cup Watch got no closer to certainty as Simpson finished tied for fifth at -14 under. Right there with him was Brandt Snedeker at the same score. Neither gave Watson the showing he would need to take one and ignore the other. Both shot 67s on the day. While there is an outside chance that both could end up on the Ryder Cup team, Simpson missed an opportunity here to make a statement.

    No Magic from Nick Watney

    The day three leader Nick Watney also posted -14 with Simpson and Snedeker. He played par golf on a day when par golf would not win. This off course goes to the biggest issue with Watney’s game: consistency. He can be great, we saw that yesterday. He can also be average and we saw that today.

    Please like our Facebook page, here.