Alan Major Taking Leave Of Absence

facebooktwitterreddit

Phil Sears-USA TODAY Sports

Alan Major is taking an indefinite leave of absence from coaching the Charlotte 49ers for medical reasons.

Major just finished his fourth season with the 49ers and has guided the team to a 61-63 record.

“After discussing my health with my family and our Athletic Director Judy Rose, I have decided to take a medical leave of absence,” Major said. “My family has a history of heart and eye issues, and I plan to have procedures done over the next couple of months to address them. I want to thank Judy and her staff, my coaching staff and our players for their support and love during this process. I’m looking forward to getting back to the game. I am very blessed to be at such an incredible University.”

Charlotte appeared in the NIT Tournament this year and lost in the first round. The team has averaged 19 wins over the last two seasons and put together the first back-to-back winning seasons since 2007. The 49ers will return four starters from last year’s team for the 2014-15 season.

“We are all wishing Alan a speedy recovery,” said Judy Rose, Charlotte 49ers Director of Athletics.  “There is never an easy or good time for a coach to be away from his team, so this has been a very difficult decision for Alan. Quite honestly, he put his personal health on hold for the entire season.”