Miami Defeats Wolfpack, Remain Undefeated in ACC: 79-78

facebooktwitterreddit

The No. 14 Miami Hurricanes (17-3, 8-0 ACC) got another test of their true strength and potential today as they traveled to Raleigh to take on No. 19 North Carolina State (16-6, 5-4 ACC). The experience of Miami was very apparent through out the game that gave college basketball fans a memorable clash between two of the best teams in the ACC.

Feb 2, 2013; Raleigh, NC, USA; Miami Hurricanes center Reggie Johnson (42) shoots over North Carolina State Wolfpack center Jordan Vandenberg (14) during the second half at PNC Arena. Miami won 79-78. Mandatory Credit: Rob Kinnan-USA TODAY Sports

The six foot, two inch tall and two-hundred and ninety-two pound Reggie Johnson tipped Miami to a narrow one point victory against North Carolina State. With just 0.8 seconds left on the game clock, Johnson tipped in Shane Larken’s missed shot to give Miami the 79-78 point victory.

"“It’s hard. It’s tough. I feel bad for our players right now because I feel like they competed really hard. Different guys had to step up at different times and they did. I thought our effort was phenomenal and sometimes it just comes down to the bounce of the ball, they made a great tip-in,” said Coach Mark Gottfried in the post game press conference."

CJ Leslie didn’t start today, but still was the leader of the Wolfpack with eighteen points and twelve rebounds.

[EARLIER: North Carolina State Wolfpack Writers Wanted!]

Freshmen Tyler Lewis saw a huge increase in minutes tonight with Lorenzo Brown not playing because of an injury. He scored sixteen points and had good hustle all game long.

"“I said before the game, I have a lot of confidence in Tyler and I thought he played terrific” Gottfried said of Lewis later during the press conference. “I thought he made a lot of great decisions throughout the day, he did a nice job defensively and I’m very proud of him.”"

Durand Scott put up solid numbers for the Hurricanes today. He had eighteen points in the game.

Julian Gamble had sixteen points and four rebounds.

And big man Reggie Johnson who scored the winning basket for the Hurricanes had fifteen points and eight rebounds.

After two consecutive losses, the Wolfpack will now travel up to Durham for their ACC rematch with the Duke Blue Devils on Thursday night. A tough stretch for the Wolfpack!