Tar Heels Win at Boston College; Lose PJ Hairston: 82-70

facebooktwitterreddit

The North Carolina Tar Heels traveled up to Boston College to take on the Eagles. After the lost to North Carolina State, the Tar Heels were looking forward to getting back on track and that is exactly what they did. However, it came with a huge price!

Jan 29, 2013; Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts, USA; North Carolina Tar Heels forward James Michael McAdoo (43) is guarded by Boston College Eagles forward Eddie Odio (4) during the second half at Conte Forum. The North Carolina Tar Heels won 82-70. Mandatory Credit: Greg M. Cooper-USA TODAY Sports

The first half was all about PJ Hairston, both good and bad. He put up fourteen points and was four-for-four from behind the arc. He was absolutely on fire and was again showing why he should be starting and not Dexter Strickland.

However, before the half was over, Hairston collided with, (ironically enough) Dexter Strickland, going to defend their post. Hairston’s head slammed into Strickland’s elbow and he came down hard. It didn’t appear that he slammed his head on the ground, but he did suffer some whiplash as he attempted to keep his head from slamming his head.

"“I think it was Dexter that actually hit him, according to [UNC SID] Steve [Kirschner] on the replay. I saw the end of it and I didn’t think he hit his head on the floor. But Dexter said that he hit him when I walked out on the court the first time.” – Roy Williams Post Game Press Conference"

Jan 29, 2013; Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts, USA; A trainer holds the neck of North Carolina Tar Heels guard P.J. Hairston (15) after he was injured during the first half against the Boston College Eagles at Conte Forum. Mandatory Credit: Greg M. Cooper-USA TODAY Sports

He was diagnosed with a concussion and would return to the bench in the second half, but would eventually take his mother’s advice (who was in attendance) to head back to the locker room for the night.

James Michael McAdoo had seventeen points and ten rebounds as the key player yet again for North Carolina.

Oliver Hanlan led the Eagles with twenty-two points and two steals.

The Tar Heels return to Chapel Hill on Saturday to play Virginia Tech where Leslie McDonald will return to the line-up. Hopefully an update on Hairston will come before then, but likely he’ll be out for at least a few games!