North Carolina Tar Heels: Joel Berry II Withdraws from Draft

Apr 3, 2017; Phoenix, AZ, USA; North Carolina Tar Heels guard Joel Berry II (2) cuts a piece of the net after beating the Gonzaga Bulldogs in the championship game of the 2017 NCAA Men's Final Four at University of Phoenix Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Robert Deutsch-USA TODAY Sports
Apr 3, 2017; Phoenix, AZ, USA; North Carolina Tar Heels guard Joel Berry II (2) cuts a piece of the net after beating the Gonzaga Bulldogs in the championship game of the 2017 NCAA Men's Final Four at University of Phoenix Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Robert Deutsch-USA TODAY Sports /
facebooktwitterreddit

North Carolina Tar Heels starting point guard Joel Berry is back, looking to lead the Tar Heels to another National Championship game.

The Final Four’s Most Outstanding Player, Joel Berry II, is returning for another season in Chapel Hill. The North Carolina point guard has withdrawn from the NBA draft and will play his senior season for Coach Roy Williams and the Tar Heels, Berry announced Tuesday afternoon.

The university announced on Monday morning that Berry II, alongside teammates Tony Bradley and Theo Pinson, would participate in the draft process without hiring an agent. The decision to enter the draft without an agent would maintain Berry’s college eligibility, a process that North Carolina forward Justin Jackson went through last season before returning to Chapel Hill.

After the announcement to forgo his senior season on Monday, Berry ultimately changed his mind after talks with his family and coaching staff, admitting that he still has time to prepare for the NBA.

"“After speaking to my family, I have decided to withdraw from the 2017 Draft and will return to Carolina next season,” Berry said in a statement to the University. “I know I can continue to improve my game and be better prepared for the NBA after another year playing against the best college competition in the country. There’s no reason to rush leaving school. I love being a Tar Heel and love playing for Carolina and coach Williams.”"

More from Old North Banter

According to multiple sources, Berry was a projected late first round, early second round pick, with his shooting and defense ability being his main strong points. A return to North Carolina means another chance for the senior to lead “his” team deep into the NCAA Tournament, overall helping his draft stock for the 2018 Draft.

Joel Berry II and the Tar Heels are coming off their most successful season since 2009, after securing North Carolina’s sixth National Championship over Gonzaga in Phoenix earlier this month. Berry was named the Most Outstanding Player of the Final Four, after averaging nearly 17 points in the final round of the NCAA Tournament, including a game-high 22 points in the National Championship game.

Berry has led the Tar Heels to a 66-14 record in the past two seasons as a starter, including playing in the National Championship in both years.

Next: The Case for Mitch Trubisky

While the Tar Heels still have a couple of question mark’s leading into the 2018 season, such as the status of Tony Bradley and Theo Pinson (NBA Draft), where Kevin Knox will land, and the solidification of a starting lineup, one this is for sure: Joel Berry II will be ready to lead the Tar Heels deep into the NCAA Tournament again.