North Carolina Tar Heels: 1993 vs 2009, Bracket Final

Mar 4, 2017; Chapel Hill, NC, USA; North Carolina Tar Heels players huddle before the game at Dean E. Smith Center. Mandatory Credit: Bob Donnan-USA TODAY Sports
Mar 4, 2017; Chapel Hill, NC, USA; North Carolina Tar Heels players huddle before the game at Dean E. Smith Center. Mandatory Credit: Bob Donnan-USA TODAY Sports /
facebooktwitterreddit
Prev
1 of 4
Next
north carolina tar heels
Mar 4, 2017; Chapel Hill, NC, USA; North Carolina Tar Heels players huddle before the game at Dean E. Smith Center. Mandatory Credit: Bob Donnan-USA TODAY Sports /

The North Carolina Tar Heels Final Four Bracket Challenge comes to an end with an epic showdown between 2009 and 1993.

This is it, the final installment of the North Carolina Tar Heels Final Four Bracket Challenge. Here will be decided the winner of this bracket event between all twenty of the North Carolina Tar Heels Final Four teams as it played out this time. Yes, we will have a winner. Don’t get overly concerned if the winner if not the best Tar Heels basketball team that there has ever been. If we played out the bracket again, the simulator might have given us different results.

The process did give us two national champions in the final game, just not the two that everyone was expecting. Representing the Dean Smith legacy is the 1993 team. Representing the modern Roy Williams era is the 2009 team.

More from Old North Banter

One team blue-collared its way to the championship two years after much of its membership had gotten a taste of Final Four play. The other team was a highly recruited and refined machine that had wanted to undo the black Kansas mark from the previous season.

Senior leaders? We have them. George Lynch. Tyler Hansbrough. NBA level juniors? Eric Montross. Ty Lawson. Gunners rewarded with the Final Four MOP? Wayne Ellington. Donald Williams. This was Dean Smith at about the peak of his coaching powers against the one Roy Williams team that fits best what a Roy Williams team is supposed to be. Underdogs vs dynasts.

With so much at stake, perhaps it is best that I not be involved in the final judgment. I will turn it over to the NCAAGameSim simulator to handle. At least you get two pages of play-by-play to sort through to see how it all turns out.