Carolina Panthers: Raid Minnesota Vikings on Second Free Agency Day

Dec 15, 2013; Charlotte, NC, USA; Carolina Panthers cornerback Captain Munnerlyn (41) returns an interception for a touchdown as New York Jets wide receiver Santonio Holmes (10) defends in the fourth quarter at Bank of America Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Bob Donnan-USA TODAY Sports
Dec 15, 2013; Charlotte, NC, USA; Carolina Panthers cornerback Captain Munnerlyn (41) returns an interception for a touchdown as New York Jets wide receiver Santonio Holmes (10) defends in the fourth quarter at Bank of America Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Bob Donnan-USA TODAY Sports /
facebooktwitterreddit

The Carolina Panthers made a series of important signings, and several of them came at the expense of the Minnesota Vikings.

I spent Thursday lamenting the lack of a quick start by the Carolina Panthers and their general manager Dave Gettleman in the NFL’s free agency period. If we move just twenty-four hours ahead of those concerns we find the team was quite poised to make some signings. They did make them, and they added some other moves as well.

First, Matt Kalil was officially signed to a five year contract. It is assumed that he will be the starting left tackle during that period. He is twenty-seven now and the deal lasts until he is thirty-two, and that means the Panthers should get his best years as a pro. We have to hope the injury bug has passed however.

Second, the Panthers brought back Julius Peppers. In a move that was signaled well in advance, Peppers will return to play out his final days with his original team. He gives the team an every down defensive end and that was something they needed. It also means the Julius Peppers jersey that I bought cheap when they were on sale in his Bears days has more value now.

More from Carolina Panthers

Third, the Panthers signed safety Mike Adams from the Indianapolis Colts. This was a move that I thought the Panthers should make considering the inconsistent performance of Tre Boston. Adams will stabilize the safety position. With the re-signing of Colin Jones, the Panthers are likely done shopping in this part of the defensive backfield.

Fourth, the Panthers signed Charles Johnson. No, not that Charles Johnson, who the team had already signed. They signed wide receiver Charles Johnson. Johnson is the second Minnesota Viking and not the last if you keep reading, to sign with the team. Johnson is a big target known for his speed and thus fits well with what the Panthers want to do at the receiver position. He was brought in on a one year deal, so the hand of Gettleman is present here.

More from Old North Banter

Fifth, the Panthers signed Russell Shepherd (technically an hour before Johnson). Shepherd is a wide receiver from Tampa Bay known for his speed. Along with potentially taking a role with the offense, Shepherd is also a proven special teams player.

Sixth, the Panthers agreed to terms with their third Vikings free agent as Captain Munnerlyn will be returning to the team. Like Peppers, Munnerlyn is making his second stint with the Panthers. He will move into the nickel back position to support the young Panthers corners.

Seventh, the Panthers traded Kony Ealy to the New England Patriots. They did so in combination with their third round pick in order to move up to the second round with an additional pick. Ealy was in the final year of his contract and the Panthers had signed four defensive ends so far in free agency. The second round pick will be valuable as the draft is a pretty deep one overall with up to fifty players getting first round grades.