Charlotte Hornets: Acquiring Miles Plumlee from the Bucks

Oct 26, 2016; Milwaukee, WI, USA; Milwaukee Bucks center Miles Plumlee (18) (center), Charlotte Hornets center Roy Hibbert (55) (left) and guard Nicolas Batum (5) (right) reach for the loose ball during the first quarter at BMO Harris Bradley Center. Mandatory Credit: Jeff Hanisch-USA TODAY Sports
Oct 26, 2016; Milwaukee, WI, USA; Milwaukee Bucks center Miles Plumlee (18) (center), Charlotte Hornets center Roy Hibbert (55) (left) and guard Nicolas Batum (5) (right) reach for the loose ball during the first quarter at BMO Harris Bradley Center. Mandatory Credit: Jeff Hanisch-USA TODAY Sports /
facebooktwitterreddit

The Charlotte Hornets have traded for Milwaukee Bucks center Miles Plumlee.

The Charlotte Hornets needed to make a move. We knew this. They had few assets to do it with and those assets included the contracts of Spencer Hawes and Roy Hibbert. We knew that too. The team had an injured Cody Zeller to account for and a slipping win-loss record. We knew all that.

However we did not know how they would use these facts. They used all this information to trade Hibbert and Hawes to the Milwaukee Bucks for Miles Plumlee.

That’s right. MILES Plumlee. The second best Plumlee. The Plumlee who makes $50 million over the next four years.

More from Hornets Rumors

This deal gives a lot of information about the state of Cody Zeller. They Hornets must fear a long term problem if they brought in Plumlee to kick the tires and his contract with him. Plumlee is essentially Cody-lite and has the benefit of not playing much this season.

The Bucks dealt him because they could not get him on the court with Jabari Parker, Greg Monroe, and John Henson all playing big roles. Good for them to dump Plumlee’s contract for a guy on a limited deal and another guy who could opt out and makes some sense as depth behind Parker. They erased a $12 million dollar mistake at the cost of maybe $6 million next season.

More from Old North Banter

This feels like the Courtney Lee move from last year. The Hornets needed someone to fill in for a big piece while the team continued a playoff push. The difference was that Lee was on a one year deal and if he had flamed out, no one would have cared that much. He also was infinitely more proven than Plumlee at the time of his arrival.

The good news for Charlotte is that they opened up another roster spot. With two openings and some cap room (and a trade exemption for Troy Daniels) they could try to help a three team deal involving other teams. The other news is that the Hornets are likely not going to bring in another big man through trade.

Next: Guess We aren't Getting Larry Sanders

The team still needs some support for Batum off the bench in the playmaking department. So it is fair to say the team misses Jeremy Lin for that role. Perhaps they will make a move toward that direction now.