Wake Forest Demon Deacons: Bowl Dreams are Halfway True

Sep 17, 2016; Winston-Salem, NC, USA; Wake Forest Demon Deacons defensive back Amari Henderson (10) runs in for a touchdown in the third quarter against the Delaware Fightin Blue Hens at BB&T Field. Wake defeated Delaware 38-21. Mandatory Credit: Jeremy Brevard-USA TODAY Sports
Sep 17, 2016; Winston-Salem, NC, USA; Wake Forest Demon Deacons defensive back Amari Henderson (10) runs in for a touchdown in the third quarter against the Delaware Fightin Blue Hens at BB&T Field. Wake defeated Delaware 38-21. Mandatory Credit: Jeremy Brevard-USA TODAY Sports /
facebooktwitterreddit

The Wake Forest Demon Deacons are probably ahead of schedule if their goal is a December bowl game.

The Wake Forest Demon Deacons are 3-0. That was not something I remember saying would happen, in fact I am pretty sure I took a negative view of the Deacons in my season forecast. The neat thing about the Deacons being 3-0 is that they are halfway from qualifying for a bowl game.

With three wins down, the next job is winning three more. Mathematically that seems possible with nine games that you should win three of them, but you can’t take those things for granted. Wake plays in the ACC Atlantic where they will face Clemson, Florida State, and the new riser Louisville can all be marked off as losses.

That still leaves six games that Wake will play. They have Indiana this week in Bloomington. They get the immortal duo of Syracuse and Boston College. NC State is on the schedule. Army comes to town. Virginia is the cross-divisional opponent.

More from Wake Forest Demon Deacons

Of all the games that could be wins, Army is probably the biggest lock. Wake beat Army without a full roster last year on the road. They should be able to handle them with their newer look at home.

Virginia is also a good gift this year. The Cavaliers are in a transition under new coach Bronco Mendenhall. The Deacons know what transitions can look like. They are year three of one, which puts them two years ahead of where the Cavaliers are.

More from Old North Banter

Then there is murderer’s row of Syracuse and Boston College. The bottom of the ACC Atlantic is loaded this year. Before Louisville beat Florida State by forty, they did it to the Orange. Boston College laid an egg to Virginia Tech. So that is four games that Wake could win and three where they would be favored.

Bowl talk is legitimate at this point. Maybe ACC Championship talk is a bit early, but six wins is no fantasy anymore.