Charlotte Hornets: What’s the Point?

Mar 9, 2016; Washington, DC, USA; North Carolina State Wolfpack guard Anthony Barber (12) grimaces after injuring his arm against the Duke Blue Devils in the second half during day two of the ACC conference tournament at Verizon Center. The Blue Devils won 92-89. Mandatory Credit: Geoff Burke-USA TODAY Sports
Mar 9, 2016; Washington, DC, USA; North Carolina State Wolfpack guard Anthony Barber (12) grimaces after injuring his arm against the Duke Blue Devils in the second half during day two of the ACC conference tournament at Verizon Center. The Blue Devils won 92-89. Mandatory Credit: Geoff Burke-USA TODAY Sports /
facebooktwitterreddit

We’ve looked at the logic for why the Charlotte Hornets would draft a wing, now we look at the value of taking a point guard.

The Charlotte Hornets have a second option when it comes to tonight’s NBA Draft. Instead of drafting a wing, they could draft one of the two point guards that they worked out. While drafting a wing may hide the intentions of the Hornets, taking a point guard would leave them crystal clear.

The secret is that any point guard that the Hornets would draft would not be a starter. That spot belongs to Kemba Walker, who did his best to reach the All Star team and then tried to win the NBA Most Improved Player award. Walker is entrenched and his extension looks like pretty good business.

That means the Hornets would be drafting a backup point guard. For the cost of about half of what Jeremy Lin made last year, the Hornets could have a new ball handler to come in. That there is the trick. Not only would a rookie guard make less than Lin did last year, but the Hornets would essentially be giving up on bringing Lin back.

More from Charlotte Hornets

Not re-signing Lin would likely mean that there would be money available to sign Marvin Williams back. We have to assume that Batum is getting his and it is also safe to assume that Al Jefferson is not coming back unless somehow he can be talked into the midlevel exception. So drafting a point guard means the return of Williams, a difficult piece to replicate.

The problem is that is not deal with a fundamental issue that this team has had for a while now and that is the rim protection question. With the team having moved on from Bismack Biyombo and then Noah Vonleh, the Hornets would be putting themselves in position to miss out on that again.

So does that mean Anthony Barber or Tyler Ulis? Ulis’ height still bothers me. D.J. Augustin is bigger than this guy whereas Barber is at a better height for a point guard. Since that can relate to defense, I’d rather have the N.C. State product.

Next: What's Beneath the Wings?

However that is only if it comes down to point guards. There is still one position group to look at here on Draft Day. That would be the center variety of guys.