Davidson Wildcats: Could Curry Miss the Olympics?

June 2, 2016; Oakland, CA, USA; Golden State Warriors guard Stephen Curry (30) speaks to media following the 110-77 victory against Cleveland Cavaliers in game two of the NBA Finals at Oracle Arena. Mandatory Credit: Kelley L Cox-USA TODAY Sports
June 2, 2016; Oakland, CA, USA; Golden State Warriors guard Stephen Curry (30) speaks to media following the 110-77 victory against Cleveland Cavaliers in game two of the NBA Finals at Oracle Arena. Mandatory Credit: Kelley L Cox-USA TODAY Sports /
facebooktwitterreddit

Former Davidson Wildcats star Stephen Curry is still noncommittal about the Olympics, but does that mean he really won’t go?

You may believe that former Davidson Wildcats guard Stephen Curry only gets questions about the NBA Finals. You would be wrong. Someone took the time to ask him about the Olympics in Brazil according to reports from Scott Howard-Cooper of NBA.com.

So what does Curry have to say about an Olympic campaign at this point in the season? Not much really. Curry’s mind is on things closer at hand, like winning the Finals. So it is to Curry’s benefit that he wasn’t really able to answer the question about Rio directly.

So will Curry spurn the Olympics as many NBA stars have in the past? Will he claim health or other reasons? Or something more Brazil-centric like the Zika virus?

More from Davidson Wildcats

No, I don’t think so and the answer has very much to do with other things Curry has talked about regarding the significance of the Olympics. He has always talked about the pride of representing the U.S. and how he has not gotten to play in the Olympics yet. There is no guarantee his health will hold up another four years.

Two, USA Basketball would be insane not to want him around. Therefore his spot should not be lost just because he won’t commit during the NBA Finals. Yes, I am aware Coach Mike Krzyzewski made some interesting choices before the FIBA World Championship, but that was the FIBA World Championship and he was entitled to have guys that he believed would show up.

More from Old North Banter

Three, the endorsement opportunity is too great. Does Under Armor want Curry at home over the summer or representing their brand on the world’s biggest stage to all of those potential customers? Curry is a poster boy for the NBA in a way that LeBron is not. Kids are amazed by LeBron, but are unlikely to be 6’8” 260 lbs when they grow up. Kids might actually get to be Curry.

So with those factors in mind, I have to agree with the report from Kurt Helin of NBC Sports. I think Curry will be Olympics bound. He won’t get his mind around it until the Larry O’Brien trophy is handed to one of the two teams left in the Finals.