Carolina Panthers: Bring In Six from Rookie Camp

Dec 26, 2015; Bronx, NY, USA; Duke Blue Devils tight end Braxton Deaver (89) celebrates against the Indiana Hoosiers after the 2015 New Era Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium. The Blue Devils won 44-41 in overtime. Mandatory Credit: Vincent Carchietta-USA TODAY Sports
Dec 26, 2015; Bronx, NY, USA; Duke Blue Devils tight end Braxton Deaver (89) celebrates against the Indiana Hoosiers after the 2015 New Era Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium. The Blue Devils won 44-41 in overtime. Mandatory Credit: Vincent Carchietta-USA TODAY Sports /
facebooktwitterreddit

The Carolina Panthers did bring some rookies on board from their Rookie Camp. They also cut free agent acquisition Brandon Boykin.

The Carolina Panthers capped off their rookie camp by bringing in six camp attendees into the fold for training camp. Those campers that now can continue their NFL dreams are tight end Braxton Deaver, receiver Miles Shuler, tackle Jordan Rigsbee, linebacker Jared Barber, running back Jalen Simmons, and cornerback Shaquille Richardson.

Of that group, Duke tight end Deaver is probably the most recognizable. Again it will be interesting to see how he holds up with his recent history of injury, but the Panthers are looking for help at the tight end position after having to shed Brandon Williams last year to meet roster needs elsewhere.

Rigsbee adds some more depth to the tackle group if he sticks around for a while. The line was not addressed in the draft or in the undrafted free agent crop. That gives Rigsbee a real chance to contribute.

More from Carolina Panthers

Richardson becomes yet another young corner getting a look from the team. Richardson will likely be looking a special teams role since the Panthers expressed pleasure with the way the three drafted rookies performed during rookie camp.

In the fact the Panthers were so pleased by the group that they cut Brandon Boykin, the biggest name acquisition to the secondary this off season. Boykin was supposed to be the nickelback, but it would seem that one of the three rookie corners will get a shot at that position instead.

More from Old North Banter

The Panthers also waived Ras-I Dowling and undrafted free agent wide receiver pickup Jenson Stoshak. So at the end of the day the Panthers added six and cut three. This leaves them with two roster spots that they can fill before the ninety man rosters are set.

Yesterday we talked about whether the secondary was set, we just didn’t know exactly who was playing where. The funny thing is, I had forgot about Boykin at the nickel. Well, now we know Boykin won’t be there and it is an encouraging sign for the defense.

Next: Is the Secondary Set?

The Panthers will be in Spartanburg for training camp in July.