Charlotte Hornets: If Past is Prologue

Mar 17, 2016; Denver , CO, USA; Arkansas Little Rock Trojans guard Kemy Osse (23) puts up an off-balance shot against Purdue Boilermakers center A.J. Hammons (20) during the second half of Purdue vs Arkansas Little Rock in the first round of the 2016 NCAA Tournament at Pepsi Center. Mandatory Credit: Isaiah J. Downing-USA TODAY Sports
Mar 17, 2016; Denver , CO, USA; Arkansas Little Rock Trojans guard Kemy Osse (23) puts up an off-balance shot against Purdue Boilermakers center A.J. Hammons (20) during the second half of Purdue vs Arkansas Little Rock in the first round of the 2016 NCAA Tournament at Pepsi Center. Mandatory Credit: Isaiah J. Downing-USA TODAY Sports /
facebooktwitterreddit

The Charlotte Hornets may take a very familiar route to their first round pick in 2016 NBA Draft.

So what are the Charlotte Hornets going to do with the NBA Draft? If you watched the last three drafts the Hornets are going to draft a big man out of the Big Ten. If you are following the last few Hornets stories that have been published here, then you would expect the Hornets to draft a defensive minded center. Of course it would be perfect if the Hornets could accomplish both of those goals.

It seems odd to think of Hornets missing Bismack Biyombo, but he offered an element that was not replicated on the team this season. That shot blocking has always been something the Hornets coveted but could never get in the right package. In the end, they settled for Al Jefferson who could at least score on the other end.

The Hornets also have drafted size with their first round selection each of the last three drafts. Very specific size. Big Ten Size, in fact.

More from Charlotte Hornets

2013 – Cody Zeller

2014 – Noah Vonleh

2015 – Frank Kaminsky

The only one of these who was thought to be an above average defender of the rim protecting variety was Vonleh. Vonleh was traded with Gerald Henderson to Portland and the beginning of last season. The Codysaurus and Frank the Tank are not quite the shot erasers you would want at the five spot. Big Al has better blocks numbers and he is the guy we are trying to improve on.

So to discover the guy that the Hornets should draft at 22, I did two things. I looked at the guys who led the NCAA is blocks last season and compared that list with the likely first round pick list. If it turns out he is a Big Ten big man, so much the better.

More from Old North Banter

The highest shot blocker (15th) who also has a first round draft grade happens to be A.J. Hammons of Purdue. He averaged 2.55 blocks a game last year. He is seven feet tall (260 lbs). He played in the Big Ten. Thus Hammons checks every box that a potential Hornets center target at the twenty-two spot would tick.

Hammons is generally rated near the bottom of the first round, and therefore he would be available at twenty-two. The only concern would be if the Hornets would be reaching to get him. His senior season at Purdue says no. He averaged fifteen points and eight rebounds on offense. He was 60% from the field and 71% from the free throw line in the hard hitting Big Ten.

Next: Following the Money

If Hammons is not to your liking, perhaps we can find another big to fit the bill. Just remember that Hammons was the best shot blocker in college that the Hornets will contemplate. We will look at some more options tomorrow.