Wake Forest Demon Deacons: Chubb or Bust?

Jul 20, 2015; Pinehurst, NC, USA; Wake Forest Demon Deacons player Brandon Chubb speaks to the media during the ACC football kickoff at Pinehurst Resort. Mandatory Credit: Jeremy Brevard-USA TODAY Sports
Jul 20, 2015; Pinehurst, NC, USA; Wake Forest Demon Deacons player Brandon Chubb speaks to the media during the ACC football kickoff at Pinehurst Resort. Mandatory Credit: Jeremy Brevard-USA TODAY Sports /
facebooktwitterreddit

For the Wake Forest Demon Deacons, NFL prospects will have to come from the defense.

It has been a hard first two years for Wake Forest football under coach Dave Clawson. The one bright spot has been a prolific defense. One of its stars, Kevin Johnson, was drafted last year in the first round by the Houston Texans.

This past year was pretty part two of the defense trying to be stout only  to find that there was not enough offense on the field to make it work. The heroes of this year’s unit aren’t first round guys but may be lucky to be drafted at all.

That sort of surprises me. One of those prospects is Brandon Chubb. Chubb was the mighty middle linebacker of the Wake Forest defense. If there was a play to be made, chances are that Chubb was part of the tackle. He’s a little on the small side at 6’0” 235, but he has got a motor to him. I think Jon Beason essentially played at about the same size. Chubb has a seventh round grade right now.

More from Old North Banter

Two years ago, I was on the Tylor Harris bandwagon. I am not sure where that went to, but Harris is now in the draft at defensive tackle. At 304 lbs, he has the requisite size he needs but it looks like he will have to beat out other undrafted rookies in training camp for his shot.

More from Old North Banter

Punter Alex Kinal is also out there and he too is not rated highly enough to be drafted. That is a shame for Kinal, who was everything for the Demon Deacons at times during his career there. As the eighth best punter in the draft, he is unlikely to get drafted. Hopefully someone takes a chance on him.

Wake Forest is entering the proving time for Coach Clawson. Either the team will begin to build up offensively or Clawson could be out the door in year 4. Hopefully he has kept on his defense and not allowed them to wither as their leaders graduate.