Carolina Panthers: Aqib Talib is a Dirty Player

Feb 7, 2016; Santa Clara, CA, USA; Denver Broncos cornerback Aqib Talib (21) is called for a facemark penalty against Carolina Panthers wide receiver Corey Brown (10) during the second quarter in Super Bowl 50 at Levi
Feb 7, 2016; Santa Clara, CA, USA; Denver Broncos cornerback Aqib Talib (21) is called for a facemark penalty against Carolina Panthers wide receiver Corey Brown (10) during the second quarter in Super Bowl 50 at Levi /
facebooktwitterreddit

The Carolina Panthers have learned that Broncos cornerback Aqib Talib yanked Corey Brown’s facemask on purpose.

The Carolina Panthers may well have to face Aqib Talib next year when they play the Denver Broncos. Yet the cornerback is giving everyone plenty of reasons to not want to see him again. Talib has basically said that yes he is a dirty player and that does not matter because he is also a world champion.

Talib went headhunting in the Super Bowl when Panthers receiver Corey Brown slipped by and appeared to have an angle that would lead to a touchdown. Talib took the only play he had and yanked Brown’s passing facemask to force him out of bounds at the four. The resulting penalty moved the ball to the two. This would have all been cringeworthy but understandable if Talib had decided not to tell us what he was thinking at the time.

It turns out Talib knew that he was going after the player’s facemask. He knew that he would potentially injure Corey Brown by yanking his head around. And he did not CARE. How do I know? Because he said so in a report by Doug Kyed for NESN. Nor does Talib care if the league fines him now. This is absurd and flies into the face of what the league says about player safety. Brown left the game with a concussion on a later play.

More from Carolina Panthers

Nor is the first time Talib has done this stuff. He poked an opponent in the eye in this season. I wrote how odd it was when Roddy White included Talib in his list of corners who had his respect and left Josh Norman off that list. This is the kind of stuff I am talking about.

More from Old North Banter

So why did Talib do this? According to Talib to send a message to Brown. This is where I don’t understand criticism of Cam Newton. Newton and his dancing and his balls to children bit never injures one person on another team. Some old guard folks say it disrespects the game. More so than what Talib does?

Talib, by the way, was one of the first to jump on the Cam hate wagon after the game. Although he called him the most dangerous quarterback in the league a few days before.

Anyway Aqib Talib should have been ejected and would have been under proposed NFL rule changes. He went at Brown’s facemask with no intent to make a football play. I understand what Steve Smith saw in him so long ago.