What are the Charlotte Hornets missing?

Jan 22, 2016; Orlando, FL, USA; Charlotte Hornets guard Kemba Walker (15) is congratulated by guard Troy Daniels (30) and forward Spencer Hawes (00) during the second half against the Orlando Magic at Amway Center. Charlotte Hornets defeated the Orlando Magic 120-116 in overtime. Mandatory Credit: Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports
Jan 22, 2016; Orlando, FL, USA; Charlotte Hornets guard Kemba Walker (15) is congratulated by guard Troy Daniels (30) and forward Spencer Hawes (00) during the second half against the Orlando Magic at Amway Center. Charlotte Hornets defeated the Orlando Magic 120-116 in overtime. Mandatory Credit: Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports /
facebooktwitterreddit

The Charlotte Hornets still seem to be unable to get over the hump. What players could they get to help them reach that next step?

Kemba Walker. Al Jefferson. Nicolas Batum. These are just a few of the solid players who round out the Charlotte Hornets rosters. This off season the Hornets added a few key additions that they feel like will put them in the race in the Eastern Conference, but I beg to differ. I still think the team is a long ways away from being a title contending team and here is why.

No SUPER STAR. Sure Kemba Walker just scored 52 the other night. Mind you it took over time to reach this milestone. Yes I know he scored 40 a few nights later, but truth is he is a good addition to a star player if they ever get one. He could fill a Klay Thompson role or a CJ McCollum role. He can put up big numbers if he gets hot, but at the same time has games where he just disappears. He is a good growing point guard in the NBA but he isn’t the type of player you build a franchise around.

Al Jefferson is a great PF/C. Honestly he is the most suitable player on the team to build around. When healthy he can give you 20 and 10 any night against any team. But he stays hurt often. He misses weeks at a time and really throws the chemistry of the team off. At times he seems like a better trade option due to his health then it is to keep him on the roster. So whats the solution? How do the Hornets transform this team into a contender?

There are a TON of great free agents coming up this off season and the Hornets must land a young star that can be around for years. Sure there are old guys like a Dwyane Wade and Dirk Nowitzki who can add depth to the team and more leadership but that will not translate to rings or even one ring in my opinion. Here are the top five players they should shoot for. This list is based off what’s realistic not who’s available.

5. Harrison Barnes– Not a super star like I mention so he is 5th on this list, but he is a former Tar Heel and he does a lot of little things good. Defend, rebound, and most importantly he is a team player.

More from Charlotte Hornets

4. Paul Gasol– Yes he is getting older, but he has a lot of juice left. He averages 16.3 points a game and 10.9 rebounds. Perfect fit to go along with Al Jefferson if he comes back next season.

3.Bradley Beal– Beal is a star. In my mind he is often overlooked due to John Wall and small injuries that nag him sometimes. If he can stay healthy he could be dangerous with Walker in the back court.

2. Andre Drummond– He is a double-double machine! He averages 18 points and 15 rebounds a game. Has more 20 and 20 games then any other player this year. His only knock is he can’t hit free throws. Makes him a liability at the end of the game and in the playoffs.

More from Old North Banter

  1. DeMar DeRozan– Yes Durant is a free agent. Yes LeBron opts out yearly it seems like. But seriously. Charlotte is a small market and most SUPER STARS don’t want to come to such a small area. Even with Michael Jordan owning the team. DeRozan is a great player and can drop 30 on you any night of the week. Top 5 SG in this league in my mind and can really lead a team in the playoffs I feel if he’s surrounded by the right talent. He’s number one on my list for the team. The perfect fit would be Gasol and DeRozan both this summer.

I’m no GM but in my time watching the sport and covering the sport I think any of these guys could help the team take the next step towards it’s first championship.