Duke Blue Devils: Playing Indiana in the Pinstripe Bowl

facebooktwitterreddit

The Duke Blue Devils are headed to the New Era Pinstripe Bowl to put a winning mark on the season

The Duke Blue Devils have agreed to play the Indiana Hoosiers in a December game. That comes as a surprise because I thought the two already played once this month in the Big Ten-ACC Challenge. I suppose Tom Crean wanted another shot at Duke. A little unorthodox perhaps, but I think I get it.

From what I understand the game will be played at a neutral site in New York. That would be a typical Coach Mike Krzyzewski tactic to schedule a moderate out of conference opponent in a Duke friendly place like New York. Where are they going to play it, Madison Square Garden?

Yankee Stadium? Why would they play a game there? Football? This was all about football? The New Era Pinstripe Bowl? What is that?

If it is not obvious by now, the Duke Blue Devils will be going bowling in New York. Coach David Cutcliffe, not Coach K, will be taking his team up to the Big Apple to play some ball on the day after Christmas. They will be playing Kevin Wilson’s Indiana Hoosiers not Tom Crean’s. This will be the New Era Pinstripe Bowl.

More from Old North Banter

The New Era Pinstripe Bowl has been in existence since 2010. It was originally designed to put a Big East and Big Ten team in historic New Yankee Stadium. The destruction of the Big East led to the bowl seeking a tie-in with the ACC, where a number of the old Big East teams were. So now teams have the opportunity to play outside in December in New York.

For Duke, the end of the season has been rough. There was a stolen victory by Miami, a blow out to North Carolina, loss to Pitt, and upset to Virginia. Those teams do not have a lot in common except they are Duke’s rivals in the Coastal Division.

Indiana is trying to build a team with a lightning offense similar to North Carolina. The current North Carolina offensive coordinator Seth Littrell came from Indiana. The Hoosiers put several Big Ten teams to the limit, and could cause similar problems for Duke.

Duke will have to rely on ball control and Jeremy Cash to put the Hoosiers in their place on December 26.