Stephen Curry: Breaks Father’s Mark

facebooktwitterreddit

Former Davidson Wildcat Stephen Curry is used to breaking records. The defending NBA Champ and NBA MVP already owns the NBA record for most three pointers in a season. Now he owns a record personally important. It is not a NBA record but a family one.

Last night against the Brooklyn Nets, Curry made his 1,246th career three pointer to eclipse the career number of three pointers of his father Dell. One notable thing about that achievement is that Curry is done in much less time than his father did. Granted Dell Curry was a career sixth man while Stephen is a starter.

According to reports from ESPN.com, Curry is the 40th all time leading career scorer of three point field goals. The next guy in front of him is LeBron James, who does not enjoy as much of a reputation of being a shooter. Curry may well catch James before the season is over at this rate.

ESPN also reported this quote from Curry: “I knew about it going into the game…It’s a pretty special moment for my family. I’m sure he never dreamt of the day one of his sons would pass him.”

More from Old North Banter

Curry’s team, the Golden State Warriors, has started the season at 10-0 despite missing their head coach Steve Kerr. Many believe they are the team to beat this year in the NBA.

Curry’s old team, the Davidson Wildcats, have also started their season on a winning note. They defeated the Central Florida Knights in their first game of the season. People looking for worthy successors to Curry can watch the three guard back court of Brian Sullivan, Jordan Barham, and Jack Gibbs. Gibbs scored 35 in the victory against the Knights.

Davidson returns to action on Saturday when they face former familiar opponent the College of Charleston at home.