Headlines Leading Up To First Carolina Panthers Game

facebooktwitterreddit

Dec 21, 2014; Charlotte, NC, USA; Carolina Panthers cornerback

Josh Norman

(24) returns an interception during the fourth quarter against the Cleveland Browns at Bank of America Stadium. The Panthers won 17-13. Mandatory Credit: Jeremy Brevard-USA TODAY Sports

Well, I am going to hit on a few quick things leading up to the first game for the Carolina Panthers. The first thing to mention is the fact that Josh Norman and Ryan Kalil look likely to play Sunday for the Panthers. Josh Norman was going through concussion protocol after getting hit in the head during the last preseason game against the Pittsburgh Steelers. Ryan Kalil was dealing with a sprained knee the past few weeks and looks to be healthy again. Both of these guys are going to be needed badly Sunday.

More from Carolina Panthers

Star Lotulelei is out unfortunately which will be a big blow to the defensive tackle group. The thing is the Panthers are deep at the defensive tackle position and should be able to withstand the blow caused by Star being out. I look for Kawann Short to have a good game against the Jacksonville Jaguars. If he can get going then we will be just fine without Star. There is a reason Dave Gettleman drafted two DTs back to back in that draft that featured Star and Short.

Live Feed

Surprise Kenny Golladay workout could land him far too close to Giants
Surprise Kenny Golladay workout could land him far too close to Giants /

GMEN HQ

  • Watch Kadarius Toney send NSFW message to the NY Giants after winning Super BowlGMEN HQ
  • 3 former NY Giants draft picks who are probably done in the NFLGMEN HQ
  • Grading every NY Giants first-round pick since 2013GMEN HQ
  • 4 reasons the NY Giants should pass on signing DeAndre HopkinsGMEN HQ
  • Ex-Giants coach Joe Judge screwed Bill Belichick and Pats with lost OTAsGMEN HQ
  • On the contract negotiations front Luke Kuechly agreed to a 5 year, 62 million dollar contract, which had me happy as can be. LUKKKEEEEEEEE is a beast and I am glad to see the Panthers keep him long term. With that signing the Panthers now have their two cornerstone pieces in Cam Newton and Kuechly locked up. Newton is on the team through 2020 and Kuechly is on the team through 2021. Gettleman has done a nice job of keeping the right pieces in place so far.

    More from Old North Banter

    Since we are mentioning contract talks we do have bad news and that is that Josh Norman did not get a contract extension before the start of the season. Contract talks between Norman and the Panthers stalled recently and Gettleman does not believe in contract negotiations during the season. So, it looks like Norman will end the season this season as a free agent on the market. Norman is taking a big gamble on himself and hopefully it pays off for him in the long run.

    Live Feed

    5 defensive players that didn’t live up to the hype during Commanders tenure
    5 defensive players that didn’t live up to the hype during Commanders tenure /

    Riggo's Rag

  • 3 former Carolina Panthers starters who might be done in the NFLCat Crave
  • 3 former Commanders players who might be done in the NFLRiggo's Rag
  • 10 best receiver-defensive back rivalries in NFL historyFanSided
  • 4 Panthers who can help end 2022 season on a high at the SaintsCat Crave
  • 4 Carolina Panthers that could retire after the 2022 seasonCat Crave
  • Norman wants to be paid like a top corner and he has a case based on last season’s stats. However, Norman has not been consistent enough to get that much money yet. If Norman has another season like last season he will more than likely get that big paycheck. I still do not know if that is with the Panthers. We shall see what happens.

    Live Feed

    Panthers News: Brian Burns, Miles Sanders, injury report and Luke Kuechly
    Panthers News: Brian Burns, Miles Sanders, injury report and Luke Kuechly /

    Cat Crave

  • Panthers News: Camerun Peoples, Bradley Bozeman, Bryce Young and Luke KuechlyCat Crave
  • Top 6 Carolina Panthers in franchise history ranked according to ChatGPTCat Crave
  • Panthers News: Luke Kuechly, Bryce Young, Cam Newton and Frank ReichCat Crave
  • Panthers News: Luke Kuechly, C.J. Stroud, QB conflict and TE impressionCat Crave
  • Panthers fans should be thankful legend Luke Kuechly isn’t their GMFanSided
  • Well that is it for now and I will keep you informed as much as possible throughout the season. I will have a review of the first game for the Panthers on Monday. So, you know what to do, stay with oldnorthbanter.com for all your North Carolina sports news. GO PANTHERS!

    Next: Luke Kuechly: Rich Man in the Middle