5 Observations From Carolina Panthers Preseason Game #2

facebooktwitterreddit

Aug 22, 2015; Charlotte, NC, USA; Carolina Panthers quarterback

Cam Newton

(1) passes the ball during the first quarter against the Miami Dolphins at Bank of America Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jeremy Brevard-USA TODAY Sports

Well this will be a short and sweet review of the second preseason game for the Carolina Panthers. It was awful. Okay I have to go into depth but it can be summed up by saying that. Without further ado I will bring you a few observations of what I saw in the game.

More from Cam Newton

The first thing I saw was one of the few bright spots and that was the offensive line. They went up against a very good Miami Dolphins’ defensive line and held their own. They gave up no sacks while the starters were out there. I have been impressed with that unit so far this preseason.

Live Feed

4 burning questions from Carolina Panthers fans heading into Week 3 at Seahawks
4 burning questions from Carolina Panthers fans heading into Week 3 at Seahawks /

Cat Crave

  • How much will the Carolina Panthers miss Shaq Thompson after Week 2 injury?Cat Crave
  • Panthers News: Shaq Thompson, Frank Reich, Derrick Brown and Bryce YoungCat Crave
  • Pro Husky Shaq Thompson out for season with leg injuryThe Husky Haul
  • 4 critical observations from Carolina Panthers' loss vs. the Saints in Week 2Cat Crave
  • Panthers News: Frank Reich, Bryce Young, Brian Burns and Shaq ThompsonCat Crave
  • Another bright spot I saw was the rookie Shaq Thompson had a good showing as a rookie. Shaq made a good stop on one play and he had another incredible pass swatting stop to stop what looked like a sure touchdown. The rookie can play and I liked seeing him running around out there. Hopefully he can stay healthy and help us this season.

    The last bright spot I saw was Cameron Artis-Payne he ran the ball like a guy who wants more playing time. He made great cuts and turned up some good yardage. If he continues to show off like he did tonight he will sure up the back up running back spot. He will have to work on catching passes out of the backfield to turn up more yardage but for now he is impressing.

    Live Feed

    Finding NFL comparisons for Chicago Bears RB Khalil Herbert
    Finding NFL comparisons for Chicago Bears RB Khalil Herbert /

    Bear Goggles On

  • Auburn football: The 5 best JUCO transfers in program historyFly War Eagle
  • XFL free agents that the Redskins should be interested in signingRiggo's Rag
  • Panthers face a strange problem with Christian McCaffreyFanSided
  • Carolina Panthers bolster running back, sign Cameron Artis-PayneCat Crave
  • Cameron Artis-Payne assumes new role with PanthersCat Crave
  • Now on to the terrible news and there is a lot to talk about. First we will start by taking a look at Cameron Newton and how he did tonight. My first summary of his play tonight was terrible with a side of horrible. He over thrown easy open passes, he threw an interception, and he only managed 42 yards in a quarter and some change. The Panthers scored no points with Newton at quarterback. I think you can blame Mike Shula here some too for bad play calling.

    Next horrible part of the night was the wide receivers with the exception of Jarrett Boykin (he had a great night and surprised me). Corey Brown dropped a nice pass that he should of caught. Corey Brown did not solidify his self as a starter in my opinion. The other part about why the wide receivers did horrible is they were unable to get open. I seen many plays where the quarterback was only targeting one guy because he was the only guy getting open. Where is the wide receivers at and why are they not open.

    More from Old North Banter

    The defensive line outside of Kony Ealy and Wes Horton were horrible. There was no push up front to get to the quarterback and instead they were the ones getting pushed around by the Miami Dolphins offensive line. The Miami Dolphins’ quarterbacks had plenty of time to make the right passes and that cannot happen in the regular season. It scares me that the depth guys at the defensive line spots are playing so poorly (starters are hurt all over the defensive line).

    Live Feed

    XFL Week 1: 3 Players for the Houston Texans to watch
    XFL Week 1: 3 Players for the Houston Texans to watch /

    Toro Times

  • Several former Mizzou Tigers selected in XFL DraftTruman's Tales
  • Chicago Bears: 3 Bargains to target in 2019 NFL free agencyNFL Spin Zone
  • Dallas Cowboys: 5 Players on the roster bubble after Preseason Week 2NFL Spin Zone
  • Dallas Cowboys: Three internal replacements for David Irving at the 3-techSports Dallas Fort-Worth
  • Dallas Cowboys sign Kony Ealy to bolster pass-rushFanSided
  • The last thing I seen was the amount of penalties that the Panthers picked up early in the game. Kony Ealy had a bad defensive offsides penalty that hurt the Panthers. There were so many others and there were plenty in the first preseason game too. The Panthers have got to clear that up and they need to do it fast.

    So, in a quick rundown of what needs to change. Mike Shula needs to go as offensive coordinator (not going to happen but should of happened already), Kelvin Benjamin needs to come back, and Newton needs to get his head in the game. Two of those things (the first two) cannot be changed this season and the other can if Newton decides to do so. Here is to hoping that the offense looks more fluid. Go Panthers!

    Next: 5 Observations from 1st Panthers Preseason Game