ACC Championship Race: 11/10

facebooktwitterreddit

There are three weeks to go in the college football season, so let’s take a look at the divisional races and where our regional teams stack up. We’ll start in the ACC and looking at its two divisions: Coastal and Atlantic. Then we can see how the ACC Championship is going to look.

More from Duke Blue Devils

Atlantic Division

Florida State (6-0)
Clemson (6-1)
Louisville (5-3)
Boston College (3-3)
NC State (1-5)
Syracuse (1-5)
Wake Forest (0-5)

The Atlantic is pretty clear cut, since Florida State has a game lead on everybody and really has a two game lead, since they hold the tiebreaker over Clemson. Louisville is somehow done with its conference slate despite two remaining games. They can neither improve nor hurt their position and they do not hold any tiebreakers. If you are a Seminoles fan, you can probably make those ticket purchases for Charlotte.

Nov 8, 2014; Syracuse, NY, USA; Duke Blue Devils defensive end Jordan DeWalt-Ondijo (94) gestures to crowd against the Syracuse Orange during the fourth quarter at the Carrier Dome. Duke defeated Syracuse 27-10. Mandatory Credit: Rich Barnes-USA TODAY Sports

Coastal Division

Duke (4-1)
Georgia Tech (5-2)
Miami (3-2)
North Carolina (2-3)
Pittsburgh (2-3)
Virginia (2-4)
Virginia Tech (1-4)

The Coastal is the other end of the spectrum with several teams within two games of Duke. Miami and Georgia Tech had their shots at the Devils, so they will be looking for some help from further down the list. That means they will be looking to Virginia Tech and North Carolina, both of whom play Duke in the next couple of weeks. Still, Duke’s position is pretty good as it plays the last place Atlantic and the last place Coastal division teams in two of its last three games.

North Carolina would have to use some special form of voodoo. They would need Duke to lose to either Va Tech or Wake AND the Tar Heels. They would need Miami to lose to Florida State (likely), and Georgia Tech to lose to Clemson. The resulting ties would set up a mini-conference where the Heels would have the best record against the other teams in the mini-conference, IF the dominos fell in this manner. North Carolina would have to beat Pitt and NC State as well.