Seven Former Ryder Cup Captains Tee It Up In Raleigh

facebooktwitterreddit

Apr 13, 2014; Augusta, GA, USA; Bernhard Langer chips onto the 7th green during the final round of the 2014 The Masters golf tournament at Augusta National Golf Club. Mandatory Credit: Jack Gruber-USA TODAY Sports

The 2014 SAS Championship presented by Bloomberg BusinessWeek got underway at the Prestonwood Country Club near Raleigh in Cary, North Carolina on Friday afternoon, and fields seven former Ryder Cup captains. The PGA Champions Tour event features a sizable $2.1 Million dollar purse with the winner taking home $315,000 Dollars.

Ten-time Ryder Cup player, and the 2004 European Team Captain, Bernhard Langer comes to Raleigh with a 633 point lead in the Charles Schwab Cup over former Ryder Cup Captain, Colin Montgomerie. Montgomerie is in his rookie year on the senior circuit, and piloted Team Europe in 2010.

More from Old North Banter

Other former Captains in the field this week are Tom Kite(1997), Curtis Strange(2002), Hal Sutton(2004) and Tom Lehman(2006) from Team USA, and Sir Nick Faldo from Team Europe(2008) joins Langher and Montgomerie in the field.

"“Over one-third of the players in our field have represented the United States or European teams in the Ryder Cup throughout their careers which shows the level of talent we have coming to the Triangle,” said Tournament Director Jeff Kleiber. “We’re also excited to welcome a number of new faces to Prestonwood including two-time U.S. Open Champion Lee Janzen.”"

Russ Cochran won this event last year, defeating David Frost for his second win in Raleigh. Langer beat Jay Don Blake by two shots in 2012.

"The SAS Championship field includes 23 players in the field who have represented the United States in Ryder Cup competition for a combined total of 59 appearances. Kite leads the list with seven, followed by World Golf Hall of Famer Hale Irwin, two-time major champion Mark O’Meara, and Strange who each have five appearances for the U.S. team."

Source: PGATour.com