One step forward…two steps back NC State/Boston College Preview

facebooktwitterreddit

“Patience Willow”  is a quote that my wife often refers to from the 1988 movie WillowToday, I think this quote is quite applicable to this Wolfpack unit that has been up and down all season.  Though nothing like what we witnessed last week.   They have scored points in bunches and they have  laid an egg.  They have shut an opponent out and they have also looked like swiss cheese on defense.

Nothing can be said to sugar coat what we watched last Saturday afternoon at Memorial Stadium in Clemson, South Carolina.  I watched several Dave Doeren interviews after the ballgame and to his credit he did not try and okey doke us.  He was a straight shooter.

Everyone is entitled to a bad performance.  Hopefully, the Pack will learn from that embarrassment and become a better team. It’s just a shame that all the positiveness media-wise and confidence building that this NC State football team had made was scuttled in one afternoon in the Palmetto state.

More from North Carolina State Wolfpack

Tomorrow the Wolfpack has a chance to make amends.  They host Boston College (3-2, 0-1) at Carter-Finley stadium at 3:30pm.  The Pack (4-2, 0-2) is in desperate need of that first ACC victory.  In fact, Dave Doeren is still looking for that elusive first conference win since coming to Raleigh last season.  The Pack can ill-afford NOT to get this victory tomorrow for they will not have another home date until the Georgia Tech game on November 8th.

Mandatory Credit: Joshua S. Kelly-USA TODAY Sports

To beat the Eagles, Pack quarterback Jacoby Brissett and company will need to get back on track.  We know what this team is capable of doing so the question marks that were present prior to the season have already been answered.  We know the offense can be potent.  We know the defense is good.  Not great, but good enough to be very competitive on this level.  The reality is if the Wolfpack can string together a few wins this team is going bowling.  The BC game coupled with the upcoming Syracuse, Wake Forest and slumping UNC games… it is very doable.

But first things first.  Beat Boston College.