Jeff Skinner diagnosed with a concussion

facebooktwitterreddit

This preseason has just been an agonizing one for Carolina Hurricanes fans.

Live Feed

Hurricanes Look to Rebound in Ottawa
Hurricanes Look to Rebound in Ottawa /

Cardiac Cane

  • Top Shelf Picks: Best NHL Bets Today (Predators Take Care of Business vs. Flyers)Betsided
  • The Hurricanes Need to Look in MirrorCardiac Cane
  • Take A Load Off Annie? Fratricide Is Not The Answer, So Take A Load For FreeCardiac Cane
  • 1200 Games Is A Milestone For Staal Cardiac Cane
  • The Hurricanes Stick Around But Come Up Short 4-3 in Vancouver to Remain Winless on the TripCardiac Cane
  • After it was announced that Jordan Staal would be missing 3-4 months with a fractured fibula, it is now being reported that Jeff Skinner suffered a concussion in the Hurricanes’ preseason finale against Washington.

    Here’s the press release from the team:

    "RALEIGH, NC – Ron Francis, Executive Vice President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today issued the following statement regarding forward Jeff Skinner“Jeff has been diagnosed with a concussion,” said Francis. “He will continue to be monitored by our team doctors and go through proper protocols in the coming days.”Skinner sustained the injury from a hit by Washington Capitals defenseman Matt Niskanen immediately following an offensive-zone face-off during Sunday’s exhibition game at Verizon Center. No penalty was assessed on the play."

    The 22-year old forward has missed time previously in his career due to head injuries, and his status for Friday night’s season opener against the New York Islanders has not been disclosed.

    Here’s a look at the hit in question that caused the concussion, as Skinner took an elbow from Captials defenseman Matt Niskanen.

    “His back was to the net and I think he did a spin shot and he spun right into my elbow,” Niskanen said after the game.

    “I could feel it. His face hit me right in the elbow.”

    While it may have seemed like an accident, and no penalty was called, some have made the argument that Niskanen’s elbow is actually grounds for suspension.

    While that is unclear, what is pretty clear now is that it will be a slow start to the new season for the Hurricanes.